Linux for Windows Addicts: A Smooth Transition

In summary, "Linux for Windows Addicts" is a user-friendly book aimed at helping current Windows users understand and navigate the Linux operating system. It covers a wide range of topics, including installation, kernels, file systems, programming, and Linux servers. The book is easy to read and includes helpful figures and explanations of new terms. While it may not be suitable for those with previous Linux knowledge, it is a useful resource for Windows users looking to explore Linux.
Linux for Windows Addicts

INTRODUCTION
Everyone has a stance in the OS debates, but I've really never taken a side. I have Mandrake on one machine and I could do some commands and simple stuff, but I didn't really know what Linux was all about. I've been a Windows person forever and I took interest in this book right away. It's for people who want to learn how Linux works in terms us Microsoft people are used to.

AUDIENCE
This book is for current Windows users who want to try Linux using their current Windows knowledge

SCOPE
Introduces the Linux OS. Everything from Installation, Kernals, File Systems, Programming and Linux Servers.

PROS
This book is extremely easy to read. It's not too wordy, but not too technical either. You really enjoy just sitting down and reading as if it were a novel.

Linux for Windows Addicts uses many figures and pictures so you can actually see what the author is talking about. The explanation of the new Linux terms is wonderful.

It works! I was very frustrated with Linux, but now I appreciate what it is and can for the most part put it to good use.

CONS
This book is specifically for Windows users, so anyone with some Linux knowledge might not be interested. Again, this book is very broad and not very technical. So you may understand what Linux does and can do, but you won't find out how it does things and why.

CONCLUSION

Find it on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0072130814/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It's paperback, fairly light and I got it for about $30.

Rating: 4/5

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a senior in high school studying for the ap computer science exam in java. I have the run-of-the-mill "5 steps to a 5" or "Barron AP CS" books. But I feel those books don't do an adequate job explaining the material; it covers everything but doesn't provide sufficient explanation or the why's.

I'm looking for a book (textbook) that I could read and study with that will prepare me for the AP CS exam and wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction (typically any college-level CS1 textbook).

For those who have programming experience in Java or have taken any CS classes, have any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

1. What is Linux and how is it different from Windows?

Linux is a free and open-source operating system that is based on the UNIX platform. Unlike Windows, which is a proprietary operating system developed by Microsoft, Linux is freely available for anyone to use and modify. It also offers a more customizable and secure environment compared to Windows.

2. Is it difficult to transition from Windows to Linux?

The level of difficulty in transitioning from Windows to Linux depends on your familiarity with computers and willingness to learn. While the interface may be different, many basic functions and applications are similar. With a little bit of patience and practice, you can easily make the switch.

3. Can I still use my favorite Windows applications on Linux?

Some Windows applications can be run on Linux using compatibility tools such as Wine or PlayOnLinux. However, not all applications are compatible and may not function as well as they do on Windows. It is recommended to research and find alternative Linux applications for your needs.

4. How do I get support for Linux?

Linux has a large and active community of users who are willing to help with any questions or issues you may have. There are also official forums and documentation available for various Linux distributions. Additionally, many companies offer professional support for Linux at a cost.

5. Can I still use my existing hardware if I switch to Linux?

Linux is compatible with a wide range of hardware, but it is always recommended to check for compatibility before making the switch. Some hardware manufacturers may not provide Linux drivers, but there are often open-source alternatives available. It is also possible to run Linux on a virtual machine, allowing you to use your existing hardware while still experiencing Linux.