SHO Eigenvalues with Non-Standard Potential

In summary, we have discussed the eigenvalue relation for the Hamiltonian of a simple harmonic oscillator in quantum mechanics, which is given by H= \hbar \omega (N+1/2). We then considered a different case where the potential is multiplied by a constant, denoted as a, resulting in the new Hamiltonian H= \frac{p^2}{2m}+\frac{ a m \omega^2 x^2}{2}. By relating the creation and annihilation operators, we can make the substitution w'=sqrt(a)w, which leads to the new energy eigenvalues H= \hbar \sqrt{a}\omega (N+1/2). This shows that by introducing a constant,
indigojoker
We know the eigenvalue relation for the Hamiltonian of a SHO (in QM) though relating the raising and lowering operators we get:

[tex]H= \hbar \omega (N+1/2)[/tex]

This is true for [tex] H=\frac{p^2}{2m}+\frac{m \omega^2 x^2}{2}[/tex]

I would like to solve for another case where [tex]V=a\frac{m \omega^2 x^2}{2} [/tex]

where a is some constant

We now have [tex] H=\frac{p^2}{2m}+\frac{ a m \omega^2 x^2}{2}[/tex]

I'm not sure how to go about this. When relating the creation and annihilation operators, we get: [tex]a^{\dagger} a = \frac{m \omega}{2 \hbar} x^2 + \frac{1}{2m \omega \hbar} p^2 -\frac{1}{2} [/tex]

I'm not sure how to incorporate a constant into the potential, any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is equivalent to the substitution w'=sqrt(a)w, or am I missing something?

how can you arbitrarily say that though?

indigojoker said:
how can you arbitrarily say that though?

It's mathematically true that you can make that substitution. Maybe I'm missing some subtlety here!

so you're saying that the energy eigenvalues will be:
[tex]H= \hbar \sqrt{a}\omega (N+1/2)[/tex]

a is just a constant, now if you look at the harmonic potential, the [tex] \omega [/tex] is the "ground"(classical) angular frequency of the potential. So if you draw the potential as a function of x, i.e V(x) you see that the energy eigenvalues are [tex] \hbar (\omega \sqrt a)(n + 1/2) [/tex]. because you simple do the change of variable that christianjb pointed out, so you get new annihilation operators and so on. Introducing this a, just implies that we change to the same 1-dim SHO but with another angular frequency.

indigojoker said:
so you're saying that the energy eigenvalues will be:
[tex]H= \hbar \sqrt{a}\omega (N+1/2)[/tex]

Yes.

Related to SHO Eigenvalues with Non-Standard Potential

1. What is the significance of SHO eigenvalues with non-standard potential?

The SHO (simple harmonic oscillator) eigenvalues with non-standard potential are important in understanding the behavior of quantum systems with varying potentials. They provide insight into the energy levels and stability of these systems.

2. How do you calculate SHO eigenvalues with non-standard potential?

The calculation of SHO eigenvalues with non-standard potential involves solving the Schrödinger equation for the given potential. This can be done analytically or numerically using various mathematical techniques.

3. Can SHO eigenvalues with non-standard potential be used to describe real-life systems?

Yes, SHO eigenvalues with non-standard potential have applications in various fields such as quantum mechanics, solid state physics, and chemistry. They can be used to model the behavior of physical systems, such as molecular vibrations and crystal lattice vibrations.

4. How do SHO eigenvalues with non-standard potential differ from those with a standard potential?

The main difference between SHO eigenvalues with non-standard potential and those with a standard potential is the shape of the potential energy curve. In a standard SHO, the potential energy curve is a parabola, while in a non-standard potential, it can take on various shapes and forms.

5. What factors affect the SHO eigenvalues with non-standard potential?

The SHO eigenvalues with non-standard potential can be affected by various factors, such as the shape of the potential curve, the strength of the potential, and the boundary conditions of the system. These factors can influence the energy levels and stability of the system.