SHM question (Is my method correct?)

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the angular frequency of a particle performing simple harmonic motion with an amplitude of 0.25m. The solution involves breaking the time period into two portions and calculating the time spent by the particle with a velocity less than half of its maximum speed. The correct answer is determined to be ##\omega = \pi/2## by considering the fraction of the period when the absolute value of the particle's velocity is less than 0.5.
Faiq

Homework Statement

A particle P is performing simple harmonic motion with amplitude 0.25m. During each complete
oscillation, P moves with a speed that is less than or equal to half of its maximum speed for 4/3 seconds.
Find the angular frequency of P

The Attempt at a Solution

First I split 4/3 into two portions, the right and left side. Since both are symmetrical, information about left side will be same as information for right side.

Now 2/3s is the time the particle spend with velocity < 1/2 wx in one side of motion.
So
Time Spent = Time required to achieve max - time required to achieve 1/2 of max
$$ \frac{2}{3} = \omega^{-1} (\sin^{-1}(\frac{Max~V}{Max~V})-\sin^{-1}(\frac{1/2~of~Max~V}{Max~V})) $$
$$ \frac{2}{3} = \omega^{-1} (\sin^{-1} 1 - \sin^{-1} 0.5) $$
$$ \omega = \frac{\pi}{2} $$
Note:- The answer is correct

Now the problem I realized it, even though my answer is coming correct but in my opinion, my method is not correct. The reason is I have calculated the time required by the particle to go from centre to the 1/2 speed points which makes no sense.
So can you tell me whether my method is correct and if not what is the correct method?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

If you draw a sine and check what fraction of the period the absolute value is < 0.5 the answer is 1/3 .
So 1/3 of a period corresponds to 4/3 s. Thereby : a full period is 4 s, hence ##\omega = \pi/2## as you 'found'.
Faiq said:
Now 2/3s is the time the particle spend with velocity < 1/2 wx in one side of motion.
So
Time Spent = Time required to achieve max - time required to achieve 1/2 of max
Don't agree: make a drawing.

BvU said:
Hi,

If you draw a sine and check what fraction of the period the absolute value is < 0.5 the answer is 1/3 .
So 1/3 of a period corresponds to 4/3 s. Thereby : a full period is 4 s, hence ##\omega = \pi/2## as you 'found'.
Don't agree: make a drawing.
How did you work out the value 1/3?

I looked at the drawing I made :smile:

Î made a drawing but how did you infer the value fo 1/3?

## [0,\pi/6] + [5\pi/6, 7\pi/6] + [11\pi/6, 2\pi] ## totals ##4\pi/6##. And ##4\pi/6 /(2\pi) = 1/3##

upload_2017-2-13_17-26-40.png

Oh okay thanks

You're welcome

Related to SHM question (Is my method correct?)

1. What is SHM and why is it important in scientific research?

SHM stands for Simple Harmonic Motion and it refers to the repetitive back and forth motion of an object around a central equilibrium point. It is important in scientific research because many natural systems exhibit SHM, and understanding it can help us make predictions about various phenomena in the natural world.

2. How can I determine if my method for studying SHM is correct?

There are a few ways to determine if your method for studying SHM is correct. One way is to compare your results to those of other scientists who have studied similar systems. Another way is to conduct control experiments to ensure that your results are not influenced by outside factors. Additionally, you can use mathematical equations and models to verify the accuracy of your method.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when studying SHM?

One common mistake to avoid when studying SHM is assuming that the system is ideal and does not experience any external forces or friction. In reality, most systems experience some resistance or external influences that can affect the motion. It is also important to carefully measure and control variables such as amplitude and frequency to ensure accurate results.

4. How can I improve my method for studying SHM?

One way to improve your method for studying SHM is to use more precise and advanced equipment, such as high-speed cameras or sensors. This can help you accurately measure and record the motion of the system. Additionally, conducting multiple trials and averaging the results can improve the accuracy of your method.

5. What are some real-world applications of studying SHM?

Studying SHM has many real-world applications, including designing and building structures that can withstand and minimize the effects of vibrations, such as earthquake-resistant buildings and bridges. It is also important in understanding and predicting the behavior of pendulums, musical instruments, and even the motion of planets in our solar system.