SHM problem with Momentum and Energy

In summary, the block was oscillating at 7.92 Hz with an amplitude of 10 cm after the bullet was fired. The bullet had 49.93 m/s of kinetic energy when it hit the block.
MrMaterial

Homework Statement

A 1.00kg block is attached to a horizontal spring with spring constant 2500N/m. The block is at rest on a frictionless surface. A 10g bullet is fired into the block, in the face opposite the spring, and sticks.

a. What was the bullet's speed if the subsequent oscillations have an amplitude of 10.0cm

Homework Equations

frequency = 1/(2*pi)*sqrt(k/m) (k is spring constant, and m is mass)

Vmax = 2*pi*f*A (f is frequency, A is amplitude, V is velocity)

M1*V1 = M2*V2 (momentum) (M is mass, V is velocity)

E = 1/2m(Vmax)^2 (energy of a spring system)

The Attempt at a Solution

1.) find frequency

The total mass in the spring system would be the mass + the bullet (1.01kg)

using the frequency equation listed above:

7.918Hz = 1/(2*pi)*sqrt(2500/1.01)

2.) find Vmax

I know A is 10cm, or 0.1m

using the Vmax equation listed above:

4.97 = 2*pi*7.918*0.1

3.) Find system energy

Now that i have all the information I need, I may use the Energy equation listed above and find that

12.47 = 1/2(1.01)*(4.97^2)

4.) 12.47J entered the system when bullet hit M.

• This means that the bullet had 12.47J of kinetic energy

the equation for kinetic energy is K=1/2*m*V^2

using that equation I find that:

12.47 = 1/2(0.01)*(V^2)

V = 49.93m/s

3b.) Use Momentum

using the momentum equation above:

1.01*4.97 = 0.01*V2

V2 = 505m/s (the correct answer)

Now this is where I need help. I've received two different answers! The original way I did this problem was with energy because I wanted to give it a try. For some reason I've been running into trouble with all of these oscillation equations (I've got a couple more I'm planning on posting)

Why is it that the energy approach isn't working? The answer seems to be off by about a factor of 10, but I can't find a problem with my units! Is this a problem with my math, or is this not a scenario of which using the energy equations is appropriate?

Physics news on Phys.org
The collision is inelastic, as the bullet sticks to the mass. Can you conserve energy in inelastic collisions? :wink:

Oh sheesh! Ok that makes sense. I'm scared that I didn't realize that! :bugeye:

Thanks for helping me

Related to SHM problem with Momentum and Energy

1. What is SHM (Simple Harmonic Motion)?

SHM is a type of periodic motion that occurs when the restoring force on an object is directly proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position. This results in a sinusoidal (or oscillatory) motion.

2. How does SHM relate to momentum and energy?

In SHM, the total energy (kinetic + potential) of the system remains constant. This means that as the object oscillates, its energy is constantly being converted between kinetic and potential energy. Additionally, the momentum of the object is also conserved, as the force acting on it is always perpendicular to its velocity.

3. What is the equation for calculating the energy of an object in SHM?

The energy of an object in SHM can be calculated using the equation E = 1/2kA2, where k is the spring constant and A is the amplitude of the motion.

4. How does the mass of an object affect its motion in SHM?

The mass of the object does not affect the frequency or period of its motion in SHM, but it does affect the amplitude. A larger mass will result in a smaller amplitude, and vice versa.

5. Can SHM occur in any direction?

Yes, SHM can occur in any direction as long as the restoring force is proportional to the displacement in that direction. For example, SHM can occur in a vertical direction with a mass attached to a spring, or in a horizontal direction with a mass attached to a string.