Ship A & B: Find Min. Speed to Intercept

• MHB
  • Thread starter markosheehan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ship Speed
In summary, ship A is traveling at 30 km hr^-1 in a direction 60 degrees east of north. Ship B is 20 km east of ship A traveling at a constant speed. If ship B is traveling at a speed greater than 16.15 km/hr, it will miss the intercept with ship A.
markosheehan
ship A is traveling at 30 km hr^-1 in a direction 60 degrees E of N. Ship B is 20 km east of ship A traveling at a constant speed. find the minimum speed of ship B to intercept to intercept ship A

i know there distance in the j direction must be the same but when i let 30cos60=xsiny it does not help me.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
markosheehan said:
Ship B is 20 km east of ship A traveling at a constant speed.

Is ship A traveling at a constant speed north?

joypav said:
Is ship A traveling at a constant speed north?

ship A is traveling at a constant speed of 30 km hr^-1 in a direction 60 degrees east of north

markosheehan said:
ship A is traveling at a constant speed of 30 km hr^-1 in a direction 60 degrees east of north

Yes, I'm sorry.
I meant is ship B traveling north. You did not indicate in what direction ship B is moving. I assume it is moving north, otherwise it wouldn't be able to intercept ship A.
If it is traveling north, this would be a simple related rates problem (Calculus 1).

joypav said:
Yes, I'm sorry.
I meant is ship B traveling north. You did not indicate in what direction ship B is moving. I assume it is moving north, otherwise it wouldn't be able to intercept ship A.
If it is traveling north, this would be a simple related rates problem (Calculus 1).

in the question i am not told what direction ship B is travelling. I can send you a pic of the question if you want

$r_A = (15\sqrt{3} \cdot t)i + (15 \cdot t)j$

$r_B = (20+v\cos{\theta} \cdot t)i + (v\sin{\theta} \cdot t) j$

$v\sin{\theta} = 15 \implies \sin{\theta} = \dfrac{15}{v} \implies v \ge 15$, however, if $v=15$ ship B will miss the intercept $\implies v > 15$

$20 + v\cos{\theta} = 15\sqrt{3} \implies \cos{\theta} = \dfrac{15\sqrt{3}-20}{v}$

$\tan{\theta} = \dfrac{\sin{\theta}}{\cos{\theta}} = \dfrac{3}{3\sqrt{3}-4}$

$\theta = \arctan\left(\dfrac{3}{3\sqrt{3}-4}\right) \approx 68.3^\circ \implies v \approx 16.15 \, km/hr$

Related to Ship A & B: Find Min. Speed to Intercept

1. What is the purpose of the "Ship A & B: Find Min. Speed to Intercept" experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to determine the minimum speed needed for two ships to intercept each other in a given scenario.

2. How is the minimum speed to intercept calculated?

The minimum speed to intercept is calculated using the relative velocities of the two ships and the distance between them. It takes into account the direction and speed of each ship and the angle between them.

3. What factors can affect the minimum speed to intercept?

The minimum speed to intercept can be affected by the initial position and velocity of the two ships, as well as any external forces acting on them, such as wind or currents. The size and shape of the ships can also play a role.

4. How can this experiment be applied in real life?

This experiment can be applied in situations where two objects, such as ships or aircrafts, need to intercept each other. It can also be used in developing navigation systems or calculating trajectories for space missions.

5. What are the limitations of this experiment?

This experiment assumes that the two ships are moving in a vacuum and that there are no other external forces acting on them. In real life, there may be various factors that can affect the minimum speed to intercept, such as weather conditions and the maneuverability of the ships.