Shifting the Summation Index in Zeta Function Convergence Proof?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the property of shifting the index on summation notation, specifically the identity \sum_{k=1}^n \frac{1}{k(k+1)} = \frac{1}{2} + \sum_{k=2}^{n+1} \frac{1}{k(k-1)}. However, it is pointed out that this identity is false and the correct shifting results in a stronger inequality. There is speculation that this could be an error in the book or a misinterpretation.
Skynt
Can anyone explain this property of shifting the index on the summation notation?

I'm reading a book and came across this which has confused me. I don't see how these are equal:
[tex]\sum_{k=1}^n \frac{1}{k(k+1)} = \frac{1}{2} + \sum_{k=2}^{n+1} \frac{1}{k(k-1)}[/tex]

It's part of an explanation that proves that the zeta function converges for values equal to or larger than 2. I just fail to see how they're equal.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
They're not equal. Just consider the case n=1 in which case the identity states:
[tex]\frac{1}{1(1+1)} = \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2(2-1)}[/tex]
which is clearly false since the left hand side is 1/2 while the right hand side is 1/2 + 1/2 = 1. We do however have:
[tex]\sum_{k=1}^n \frac{1}{k(k+1)} = \sum_{k=2}^{n+1}\frac{1}{k(k-1)}[/tex]

Perhaps you misread/miscopied your book or it's an error in the book.

Yeah that's exactly what confused me. I tested it too. It's definitely an error or I misread it. If anyone has the Art and Craft of Problem Solving, it's on page 162 of the Algebra chapter. Perhaps someone could clear me up on this proof lol.

Last edited:
It seems to be an error in the book (and not just a typo as his later derivations depends on the formula). Anyway doing the correct shifting we can show a slightly stronger result:
[tex]\begin{align*}
\sum_{k=2}^n \frac{1}{k^2} &< \sum_{k=2}^n \frac{1}{k(k-1)} \\
&= \sum_{k=1}^{n-1} \frac{1}{k(k+1)} \\
&= 1 - \frac{1}{n}
\end{align*}[/tex]
Here we use the inequality [itex]1/k^2 < 1/k(k-1)[/itex] mentioned in the text, we shift the index by one and finally we either use the formula:
[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{n} \frac{1}{k(k+1)} = 1 - \frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]
given in the text or simply notice that the sum telescopes as [itex]1/k(k+1) = 1/k - 1/(k+1)[/itex].

Related to Shifting the Summation Index in Zeta Function Convergence Proof?

1. What is "shifting the summation index"?

"Shifting the summation index" is a mathematical technique used in summation calculations to change the starting point of the index or the number of terms being summed. It allows for easier evaluation of complex summations and can help to simplify calculations.

2. Why is shifting the summation index necessary?

Shifting the summation index can be necessary in cases where the original index does not start at a convenient value or when the number of terms being summed is too large. It allows for more efficient and accurate calculations.

3. How is shifting the summation index done?

To shift the summation index, a new variable is typically introduced and the original index is replaced with this new variable. The new index is then adjusted to match the original index's starting point and number of terms, making the summation easier to evaluate.

4. Can shifting the summation index affect the result of the summation?

No, shifting the summation index does not affect the result of the summation. It only changes the way the summation is evaluated and does not alter the final answer.

5. Are there any limitations to shifting the summation index?

While shifting the summation index can be a useful technique, it may not always be applicable or necessary. It is important to carefully consider the context and purpose of the summation before deciding to shift the index.