Shifting of indices on tensors

In summary, the tensors ##{T^{\mu}}_{\nu}## and ##{T_{\nu}}^{\mu}## differ from each other (even though the index ##\mu## is contravariant in both cases and the index ##\nu## is covariant in both cases) since the order of the indices is different.
spaghetti3451
I have learned that there is a difference between the tensors ##{T^{\mu}}_{\nu}## and ##{T_{\nu}}^{\mu}##.

Does the upper index denote the rows and the lower index the columns?

Physics news on Phys.org
They are not the same. However they are both mixed tensors. You read more about them here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_tensor

The upper index doesn't denote a row or column similarly for the lower index, instead they denote whether its a covariant (lower) index or a contravariant (upper) index.

I get it: the two important properties of the indices of a tensor are its order in the list of indices and its contravariance/covariance.

For example, the tensors ##{T^{\mu}}_{\nu}## and ##{T_{\nu}}^{\mu}## differ from from each other (even though the index ##\mu## is contravariant in both cases and the index ##\nu## is covariant in both cases) since the order of the indices is different. Am I correct?

The u,v naming doesn't really matter as you could have written them as:

##{T^{\mu}}_{\nu}## and ##{T_{\mu}}^{\nu}##

What's important is the upper and lower order ie ##\mu##, the first index is upper and ##\nu##, the second is lower for the first mixed tensor ##{T^{\mu}}_{\nu}##.

Last edited:
I am still wondering, though, how to interpret the indices of ##{T^{\mu}}_{\nu}## and ##{T_{\nu}}^{\mu}## in terms of rows and columns.

For example, by convention, the vector ##A^{\mu}## is a column vector, so that the index ##\mu## denotes the row number of the vector.

On the other hand, the dual vector ##A_{\mu}## is a row vector, so that the index ##\mu## now denotes the column number of the vector.

Coming back to ##{T^{\mu}}_{\nu}##, does ##\mu##, being the contravariant index, denote the row number and ##\nu##, being the covariant index, denote the column number of the matrix?

What role does the upper and lower order of the indices serve in terms of the interpretation as matrix elements?

I think visually you can lay the tensor out like a matrix with rows and columns. However people tend to use the indices alone and not worry about comparing it to a matrix in that way.

Basically, you don't want to lose sight of the covariant/contravariant nature of each indice.

Here's a writeup on tensor notation where you can see that they use matrix notation for some covariant tensors:

http://www.continuummechanics.org/cm/tensornotationbasic.html

Perhaps @Mark44 can add something here too.

Last edited:
failexam said:
I am still wondering, though, how to interpret the indices of ##{T^{\mu}}_{\nu}## and ##{T_{\nu}}^{\mu}## in terms of rows and columns.

For example, by convention, the vector ##A^{\mu}## is a column vector, so that the index ##\mu## denotes the row number of the vector.

On the other hand, the dual vector ##A_{\mu}## is a row vector, so that the index ##\mu## now denotes the column number of the vector.

Coming back to ##{T^{\mu}}_{\nu}##, does ##\mu##, being the contravariant index, denote the row number and ##\nu##, being the covariant index, denote the column number of the matrix?

What role does the upper and lower order of the indices serve in terms of the interpretation as matrix elements?

I would say a clearer perspective is the one taken from the Wiki article: that an (m+n)-tensor acts on m vectors and n covectors (meaning differential forms), and it is multilinear, i.e., linear on each variable.

jedishrfu said:
I think visually you can lay the tensor out like a matrix with rows and columns. However people tend to use the indices alone and not worry about comparing it to a matrix in that way.

Basically, you don't want to lose sight of the covariant/contravariant nature of each indice.

Here's a writeup on tensor notation where you can see that they use matrix notation for some covariant tensors:

http://www.continuummechanics.org/cm/tensornotationbasic.html

Perhaps @Mark44 can add something here too.

Thanks a lot!

Related to Shifting of indices on tensors

1. What is the concept of "shifting" in relation to tensors?

The concept of shifting on tensors refers to the process of changing the position of the index labels on a tensor without changing the actual values of the tensor itself. This allows for easier manipulation and calculation of tensor operations.

2. Why is shifting of indices important in tensor operations?

Shifting of indices is important because it allows for the simplification and standardization of tensor operations. It also allows for easier comparison and analysis of tensors with different index label conventions.

3. How does shifting of indices affect the resulting tensor?

Shifting of indices does not affect the values of the tensor itself, but it does change the way the tensor is represented and accessed. The resulting tensor will have the same values, but the index labels will be in a different order.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines for shifting indices on tensors?

Yes, there are rules for shifting indices on tensors. These rules are based on the properties of tensors, such as symmetry and anti-symmetry, and can help to ensure that the resulting tensor is still valid and accurate.

5. Can shifting of indices be performed on all types of tensors?

Yes, shifting of indices can be performed on all types of tensors, including scalars, vectors, and higher-order tensors. However, the process may be more complex for tensors with more than two indices.