Shifting Graphs: Finding Corresponding Points

In summary, the problem asks to find the corresponding points on the graph of $y = f(x + 2) - 1$ given that the graph of $y = f(x)$ passes through the points (0, 1), (1, 2), and (2, 3). The corresponding points are obtained by shifting the points on the graph of $y = f(x)$ 2 units to the left and 1 unit down. The resulting points are (-2, 0), (-1, 1), and (0, 2).
Taryn1
I feel like this should be a super easy problem, but I'm not understanding something about it.

The graph of y = f(x) passes through the points (0, 1), (1, 2), and (2, 3). Find the corresponding points on he graph y = f(x + 2) - 1. I graphed the (x + 2) - 1, but what does it mean by 'corresponding points'? The three points I named earlier lie on the line, but that's not the right answer (I have the answers in the back of the book). I just don't know how to get there correctly...

Here's the graph I got:

View attachment 4694

Attachments

• wolframalpha.png
    wolframalpha.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 58
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Taryn,

The graph of $y = f(x + 2) - 1$ (or $y + 1 = f(x + 2)$) is obtained from the graph of $y = f(x)$ by shifting $2$ units to the left and $1$ unit down. So if I'm understanding the problem correctly, the point $(0,1)$ that lies on $y = f(x)$ corresponds to the point $(0 - 2, 1 - 1) = (-2,0)$ on the graph of $y = f(x + 2) - 1$. Similarly the point $(1,2)$ corresponds to $(1 - 2, 2 - 1) = (-1,1)$. If you display the answers here then I'll be sure exactly what correspondence they mean.

Thanks! That makes sense now. That's exactly the answers the book had. :)

Related to Shifting Graphs: Finding Corresponding Points

1. What is a shifted graph?

A shifted graph is a graph that has been moved or translated from its original position. This can happen horizontally or vertically, and the amount of the shift is typically represented by a number added or subtracted from the original coordinates of the graph.

2. How is a shifted graph different from a regular graph?

A shifted graph differs from a regular graph in that its coordinates have been altered. This can change the overall shape and position of the graph, but the relationship between the points and the function remains the same.

3. What causes a graph to shift?

A graph can shift for a variety of reasons, such as changes in variables or parameters in the function, or applying transformations such as translation, rotation, or dilation to the graph.

4. How do you determine the direction and amount of a shift on a graph?

The direction and amount of a shift on a graph can be determined by looking at the coordinates of the original points and the coordinates of the shifted points. The difference between the two sets of coordinates will indicate the direction and amount of the shift.

5. Can a graph be shifted in more than one direction?

Yes, a graph can be shifted in multiple directions. This is known as a multi-shifted graph and involves applying multiple transformations, such as translation, rotation, or dilation, to the original graph.