Sherwood number - effective and molecular diffusion

In summary, the Sherwood number is used to express the ratio of transport by convection to that of transport by diffusion alone, and can be calculated by dividing the effective diffusion coefficient (De) by the molecular diffusion coefficient (D). The effective diffusion coefficient is the value the diffusion coefficient must have to achieve the observed mass flux, assuming diffusion is the driving mechanism. This can be different from the actual diffusion coefficient, as other factors such as convection may also contribute to the transport. The ratio De/D gives an idea of the relative contributions of diffusive and convective transport.
TboneWalker
I'm having a little trouble understanding the Sherwood number, (Sh, mass transfer Nusselt number), which gives the ratio of convective to diffusive mass transfer. My question is: given a system that has a molecular diffusion coefficient of D, the effective diffusion coefficient is measured to De because of convective forces that speed up the process. Will the Sherwood number then be proportional to De/D?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want my opinion, I'd say yes. But if you want my second opinion, I'd say no. :smile:

Thanks, that clears it up :wink:

Any more thoughts anyone?

How are you distinguishing the diffusion coefficient and "effective diffusion coefficient"? The diffusion coefficient as typically defined already takes temperature and Brownian motion into account, and thus it is hard to see what distinction you could be drawing there. As I understand it, the Sherwood number is used to express the ratio of transport by convection (diffusion plus advection) to that of transport by diffusion alone. So it is hard to see how you could measure an "effective diffusion coefficient" that is different from the actual one.

The "effective diffusion coefficient" that I measure is the value the diffusion coefficient has to have in order to achieve the observed mass flux, assuming that diffusion alone is the driving mechanism.

For instance, I know that the diffusion of CO2 in water in reality is around 2E-9. In order to get the mass transport I'm observing, the diffusivity has to be 2E-8. Thus the "effective diffusion coefficient" is equal to 2E-8. The transport mechanism is off course not purely diffusion, but the effective diffusion coefficient would describe the amount of flux, and the ratio De/D would give you an idea of the ratio of diffusive transport compared to the total transport. I might be totally off here...

Related to Sherwood number - effective and molecular diffusion

1. What is the Sherwood number and how is it related to diffusion?

The Sherwood number is a dimensionless quantity used in fluid mechanics and heat transfer to characterize the mass transfer rate due to diffusion. It is defined as the ratio of the mass transfer rate at the surface of a solid body to the mass transfer rate in the bulk fluid. In other words, it represents the effectiveness of molecular diffusion in transporting particles from the surface of a solid to the surrounding fluid.

2. How is the Sherwood number calculated?

The Sherwood number can be calculated using the following formula: Sh = hL/D, where h is the convective heat transfer coefficient, L is a characteristic length scale, and D is the diffusion coefficient. This formula is based on the analogy between heat and mass transfer, where the Sherwood number is analogous to the Nusselt number in heat transfer.

3. What factors affect the Sherwood number?

The Sherwood number is affected by several factors, including the properties of the fluid (such as viscosity and diffusivity), the geometry of the solid surface, and the flow conditions (such as velocity and turbulence). Additionally, the Sherwood number is influenced by the concentration difference between the solid surface and the bulk fluid, which drives the diffusion process.

4. How is the Sherwood number used in engineering and industrial applications?

The Sherwood number is commonly used in the design and analysis of heat and mass transfer systems, such as in chemical reactors, distillation columns, and heat exchangers. It is also used in environmental engineering to study air and water pollution control processes. In industrial applications, the Sherwood number is used to optimize and improve the efficiency of mass transfer processes.

5. What is the difference between the Sherwood number and the Peclet number?

The Sherwood number and the Peclet number are both dimensionless quantities used in fluid mechanics and heat transfer. While the Sherwood number represents the effectiveness of mass transfer due to diffusion, the Peclet number represents the effectiveness of convective heat transfer. In other words, the Sherwood number is related to diffusion while the Peclet number is related to convection. Additionally, the Sherwood number is based on the analogy between heat and mass transfer, while the Peclet number is based on the analogy between momentum and heat transfer.