Inertia humming bird is hovering in a car

In summary, the conversation discusses whether a humming bird hovering in a car will fly into the windshield when the car comes to a sudden stop. It is determined that the bird will not actually hit the windshield due to its ability to adjust its flight path, similar to a helium balloon in the car. However, the bird may experience some forward movement due to the breaking of the car.
socialcoma
if a humming bird is hovering in a car going at a constant rate, and the car comes to a sudden stop, will the bird fly into the windsheild?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes! I think... :p

Interesting side note:

If you had a helium filled balloon in your car and attached it to the floor, when you hit the brakes it will actually go BACKWARDS. If you accelerate, it moves forwards, etc. The movement of the balloon is the opposite of what you would expect. This is due to the movement or air and air density in the car.

Ok..well for the humming bird...when it is floating, it is staying in place in the "bubble" of air in the car...when the car brakes, in order for the hummingbird to hit the windshield, all that air would have to be smashed forward...which would leave a vacuum in the back and then that would be filled up...so wouldn't it get really windy in the car whenever u stop?(assuming that this is all with the windows closed)

Last edited:
yes, all of this with the window closed

Originally posted by socialcoma
if a humming bird is hovering in a car going at a constant rate, and the car comes to a sudden stop, will the bird fly into the windsheild?
Do *YOU* fly toward the windshield when the car suddenly stops? (hint: why are you wearning a seatbelt?) There's your answer.

when it is floating, it is staying in place in the "bubble" of air in the car...when the car brakes, in order for the hummingbird to hit the windshield, all that air would have to be smashed forward...which would leave a vacuum in the back and then that would be filled up...so wouldn't it get really windy in the car whenever u stop?
The hummingbird isn't floating - its FLYING. Huge difference.

LOL. I think we're making this question tougher than it is.

Originally posted by socialcoma

I think not. Like the hellium balloon, the humming bird rides the air within the vehicle. Admittedly, the humming bird is less bouyant than the balloon, but it is also far less massive than a person. Additionally, the bird is not a passive passenger of the air currents, like the balloon. On the contrary, it beats its wings something on the order of 20-30 times per second. This gives it many opportunities for "course correction". I don't know what their exact manuevering specs are, but I've seen them pull some serious G's.

So, although the bird might tend to "LURCH forward" a bit, I doubt you could get it to hit the windscreen simply by breaking. Maybe by crashing the car into a wall or something.

i don't mean will the bird actually hit the windsheil, i was just trying to find out if the bird would lurch forward

Of course, bird will slam into windshield. Braking is equivalent to increase in g (and tilting it forward).

Originally posted by LURCH
I think not. Like the hellium balloon, the humming bird rides the air within the vehicle. Admittedly, the humming bird is less bouyant than the balloon, but it is also far less massive than a person
Buoyancy depends on the density of an object, not its mass. As the humming bird has a higher density than air but the helium balloon a lower density, they will not behave identically, i.e. the humming bird will fly against the windshield if you brake the car (unless it can react very quickly and brake as well).

What is inertia and how does it apply to a hummingbird hovering in a car?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. This means that an object in motion will continue moving at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of a hummingbird hovering in a car, the bird is able to maintain its position and speed relative to the car due to its inertia.

Why is the hummingbird able to hover in a car without being affected by the car's motion?

The hummingbird's small size and light weight allow it to have a high power-to-weight ratio, meaning it can generate enough lift from its wings to counteract the force of the car's motion. Additionally, the bird's wings are able to make rapid adjustments to maintain its position using the surrounding air as a reference point.

What factors affect the hummingbird's ability to hover in a car?

The hummingbird's ability to hover in a car is affected by its size, weight, wing shape and size, and the speed and direction of the car. Other factors such as wind speed and air density can also play a role in the bird's ability to maintain its position.

Is there a limit to how fast a hummingbird can hover in a car?

Yes, there is a limit to how fast a hummingbird can hover in a car. As the car's speed increases, the air resistance and turbulence also increase, making it more difficult for the bird to maintain its position. At a certain point, the bird will not be able to generate enough lift to counteract the force of the car's motion and will be pushed backwards.

How does a hummingbird's hovering in a car compare to its hovering in still air?

When hovering in a car, the hummingbird must also counteract the force of the car's motion in addition to the force of gravity. This requires more energy and effort from the bird compared to hovering in still air. However, the bird's hovering abilities are still impressive regardless of the environment.