Sheldon Axler's Algebra and Trig/Precalculus for proofs?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a book that teaches proofs at the high school level, excluding geometry texts. Recommendations such as Axler's texts, Book of Proof, and Fundamentals of Freshman Mathematics are mentioned. Serge Lang's Basic Mathematics is also recommended for its rigorous approach to pre-calculus topics.
OceanSpring
Can someone tell me if Axler's texts use proofs? I'm looking for a book that teaches proofs at the high school level. Something other than a geometry text.

Physics news on Phys.org
So, I found my own answer on the Axler texts. Other recommendations are welcome.

This course does not focus much on proofs

OceanSpring said:
I'm looking for a book that teaches proofs at the high school level. Something other than a geometry text.
I don't think there are 'high school level proof'. When I was in HS I trimmed through the Book of Proof. Then, I picked up a set theory book and worked through the various proofs (someone from PF suggested it) and it really was great. I can't say my proofwriting is perfect, but I know the basics well enough to work through Axler's LA and Abbott's Analysis in my first year of undergrad. Velleman also wrote a book on proofs but in my opinion, Book of Proof is straight up better.

If you would like to build a proof skill from the pre-calculus books, I recommend "Fundamentals of Freshman Mathematics" by Allendoerfer/Oakley. It starts with the basic logic and proof strategies, and treats the pre calculus topics (algebra, trigonometry, geometry, and basic probability) in a friendly, clear manner. The book is old, so you can find a used copy at very reasonable price.

Another book I recommend as a "high-school proof" is Serge Lang's Basic Mathematics, which treats the pre-calculus topics very rigorously. I personally like Allendoerfer/Oakley, but both books are great.

Related to Sheldon Axler's Algebra and Trig/Precalculus for proofs?

1. What is the difference between Algebra and Trig/Precalculus for proofs?

The main difference between Algebra and Trig/Precalculus for proofs is the level of mathematical concepts covered. Algebra focuses on basic operations, equations, and functions, while Trig/Precalculus covers more advanced topics such as trigonometry, complex numbers, and vectors. However, both courses use proofs as a way to logically justify mathematical statements.

2. How does Sheldon Axler's textbook approach proofs in Algebra and Trig/Precalculus?

Axler's textbook uses a more conceptual and intuitive approach to proofs, rather than a purely mechanical one. It emphasizes understanding and reasoning over memorization of formulas and algorithms. The book also includes numerous examples and exercises to help students develop their proof-writing skills.

3. Is this textbook suitable for self-study?

Yes, this textbook can be used for self-study as it is written in a clear and accessible manner. However, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of Algebra and Trig/Precalculus before diving into the proofs covered in this book.

4. How does this textbook prepare students for higher-level math courses?

Axler's textbook provides a strong foundation in proof-writing skills, which is essential for success in higher-level math courses. It also introduces students to advanced topics such as complex numbers and vectors, which are commonly used in higher-level courses. Additionally, the conceptual approach used in this textbook can help students develop a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts.

5. Are there any online resources available to supplement this textbook?

Yes, there are various online resources available such as practice problems, video lectures, and interactive quizzes that can be used to supplement this textbook. Students can also find solutions to the exercises in the textbook online, which can be helpful for self-study and review.