Shear Stress Formula: Calculating Tau Correctly

In summary, the formula for calculating shear stress is tau = F/A, where F is the force applied parallel to the surface and A is the cross-sectional area of the surface. The direction of shear stress is always perpendicular to the surface and the units for shear stress are typically expressed in Pascals (Pa) or Newtons per square meter (N/m^2). The shear stress formula can be used for any shape or material as long as the force applied is parallel to the surface and the surface is perpendicular to the direction of the force. Shear stress and shear strain are directly proportional to each other and this relationship is described by the elastic modulus, also known as the shear modulus or modulus of rigidity.
foo9008
how to get the formula of shear stress (tau) ? i got (-dp/ds -ydz/ds )(r/2) instead of -d(p+yz)/ ds (r/2) as in the book , if it's d(p+yz)/ ds (r/2) m , i would get (-dp/ds -ydz/ds-z(dy/ds) )(r/2) ,, right ?

The Attempt at a Solution

P/s : I'm concerned about the derivation part , so i didnt upload the complete version of the note

Attachments

• DSC_0506.JPG
    DSC_0506.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 370
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the book wrong?

Related to Shear Stress Formula: Calculating Tau Correctly

1. What is the formula for calculating shear stress (tau)?

The formula for calculating shear stress is tau = F/A, where F is the force applied parallel to the surface and A is the cross-sectional area of the surface.

2. How do you determine the direction of shear stress?

The direction of shear stress is always perpendicular to the surface. This means that it is always parallel to the force applied.

3. What are the units for shear stress?

The units for shear stress are typically expressed in Pascals (Pa) or Newtons per square meter (N/m^2).

4. Can the shear stress formula be used for any shape or material?

Yes, the shear stress formula can be used for any shape or material as long as the force applied is parallel to the surface and the surface is perpendicular to the direction of the force.

5. How is shear stress related to the concept of shear strain?

Shear stress and shear strain are directly proportional to each other. This means that as shear stress increases, shear strain also increases. This relationship is described by the elastic modulus, also known as the shear modulus or modulus of rigidity.