Shear forces and bending moments on a box barge, formulas

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking advice on where to find equations for shear force and bending moments in order to determine loading sequences for a box barge. They have some knowledge of buoyancy and weight distribution, but are struggling with finding the specific formulas they need. They are also seeking advice on how to improve their understanding of these concepts and are open to consulting with experts for help.
Helen p

Homework Statement

I need to determine loading sequences for a box barge - I have lots of information on the actual question, which I can't put up here because I have not attempted this question. I am really after some advice as to where I can find the equations I need. My (merchant navy) course doesn't provide course material for this class and my notes aren't very good because I was rushing to keep up.

I really need to know where to look for the equations for shear force and bending moments but I keep finding lots of different calculations and I just don't recognise any of them although I have given what I know below...

Homework Equations

I know that the buoyancy of the box-barge provides an upwards force and the cargo weight provides a downward force leading to shear force where these two meet.

I know that I need to use length (L, in m), beam (B, in m), depth (D, in m) and lightship displacement (Delta, in tonnes).

I have several loads which I must put into the ships compartments, not exceeding the maximum bending moment or maximum shear force - but I don't know where to find the formulas. does anyone know of a site that lists the formulas I need?

The Attempt at a Solution

I remember doing...

B= d x Pw (buoyancy = displacement x L x B)

and then stress analysis = buoyancy /L (giving buoyancy/meter)

I then recall something like...buoyancy goes up, cargo weight goes down and mass of structure goes down so a diagram can be produced...

mass of structure/length of compartment=downward forces
mass of structure/length of compartment=upward forces (in hold with no cargo)

This is my first post, and I'll probably get shot down but I thought I'd try. I'm struggling through an engineering degree that I am in no way qualified for but I'm sure it will all start making more sense eventually.

Physics news on Phys.org

I recommend first looking at basic principles of buoyancy and weight distribution in a floating vessel. This will give you a better understanding of the forces at play in a box barge. Some equations you may find useful include Archimedes' principle and the equation for calculating the center of gravity of a vessel.

Next, you can look at more specific equations for shear force and bending moments, such as the shear force and bending moment diagrams for a simply supported beam. These can be found in many engineering textbooks or online resources.

It may also be helpful to consult with a naval architect or marine engineer who has experience with box barges. They may be able to provide you with specific equations and calculations for your particular barge.

Lastly, don't be discouraged if you are struggling with your engineering degree. It takes time and practice to fully understand these concepts, and seeking help from others is always a good idea. Good luck with your studies!

Related to Shear forces and bending moments on a box barge, formulas

1. What is the definition of shear force and bending moment?

Shear force is the force that acts parallel to the cross-sectional area of a structure, while bending moment is the force that causes a structure to bend or twist.

2. How are shear forces and bending moments calculated on a box barge?

Shear forces and bending moments on a box barge can be calculated using the formula F = Q x a, where F is the shear force, Q is the distributed load, and a is the distance from the point of interest to the end of the structure.

3. What is the significance of shear forces and bending moments on a box barge?

Shear forces and bending moments are important to consider when designing a box barge because they determine the structural integrity and stability of the barge. If the force and moment calculations are not accurate, the barge may not be able to withstand the loads it is designed to carry.

4. How do shear forces and bending moments affect the strength of a box barge?

Shear forces and bending moments can cause stress and deformation in a box barge, which can weaken its structural integrity. By accurately calculating and analyzing these forces and moments, engineers can design a stronger and more stable barge.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect shear forces and bending moments on a box barge?

Yes, other factors such as wind, waves, and cargo weight distribution can also affect shear forces and bending moments on a box barge. It is important for engineers to consider all of these factors in their calculations to ensure the safety and stability of the barge.