Sharks and magnetic fields, trying to learn from nature

In summary, Sharks are sensitive to magnetic fields and the user is interested in mapping the spectrum in between using an electromagnetic coil. They have experience with sharks and a boat but need help building the coil. They are advised to research and use a compass for experimenting, as well as to look into Hall IC and fluxgate magnetometers.
RMF808
Sharks are extremely sensitive to magnetic fields, attracted by low end frequencies and repelled or overstimulated by higher/stronger fields. I want to map the spectrum in between using and electromagnetic coil in the water with sharks. I have sharks and a boat but need help building the coil. If we can learn to read magnetic fields better, then we may better understand other natural phenomena.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi RMF808.
smiley_sign_welcome.gif

You would do well to research widely to find out what others have been doing in this field, as a guide to directing your own explorations. Because you specifically ask about coils I have moved your thread to Elec Eng, otherwise I would have thought Biology to be the best overall fit.

Good luck! [emoji256] And try not to get bitten.

Gid you see that PBS "Nature" show ? A fellow had several little sharks in a backyard style above ground swimming pool.. just waving a big magnet near the outside chased them to opposite side.Field made by a coil is pretty well explained at
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/magnetic/curloo.html
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/solenoid.html

As a detector, a coil will only detect a field that's moving or changing
for a constant field like a magnet
try a search on these words
gaussmeter
magnetometer, hall
magnetometer, fluxgate

there are plenty of hall magnetometer IC's out there, they're inexpensive
fluxgate magnetometer is really sensitive but comparatively complex. a plain compass will be handy for experimenting with coils around your boat

this is the best little book i ever saw for beginners in magnetic experimenting
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006QVDJK/?tag=pfamazon01-20
he explains magnetic units
I built his " differential fluxgate magnetometer" , it was amazingly sensitive
but i think you might do as well with a Hall IC based one
probably you can buy a meter already built that's ready to use.

Sounds like fun

old jim

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Sharks and magnetic fields, trying to learn from nature

1. How do sharks sense magnetic fields?

Sharks have a special sensory organ called the ampullae of Lorenzini, which are small pores on their snouts that detect changes in electrical fields. This allows them to sense the weak magnetic fields generated by the Earth.

2. Why do sharks have this ability?

It is believed that sharks use their ability to sense magnetic fields to navigate and orient themselves in the ocean. They may also use it to locate prey and avoid obstacles.

3. How does studying sharks' magnetic field detection benefit humans?

Studying how sharks sense magnetic fields can provide insights into developing new technologies for navigation and orientation. It can also help us understand how to protect ourselves from magnetic fields, such as those produced by power lines and electronic devices.

4. Can other animals sense magnetic fields like sharks?

Yes, several other animals, including birds, turtles, and some fish, have been found to have the ability to sense magnetic fields. However, sharks have one of the most advanced and sensitive systems for this sense.

5. What are some potential applications of mimicking sharks' magnetic field detection?

Some potential applications include developing more accurate and efficient navigation systems for ships and submarines, creating better sensors for detecting underwater objects, and improving artificial intelligence and robotic systems for underwater exploration.