Shape preserving fitting algorithms

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of fitting rapidly varying data using an equation with 5 unknowns. The problem arises when the fitting algorithm finds a solution that is a straight line through the data, which may not make sense from a physical point of view. It is suggested that this could be solved by adding "shape preservation" to the fitting algorithm, potentially by considering the derivatives of the data as well. However, the question remains if there are any other possible solutions to this problem.
f95toli
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"Shape preserving" fitting algorithms

Does anyone know if there is such a thing as a "shape preserving" fitting algorithm?

Now and then I run into the following problem: I have a set of rapidly varying data and try to fit it using an equation with e.g. 5 unknowns; I know that I can make it fit "by hand" (basically trial and error). However, when I try to fit it I often get that the solution is e.g. a straight line through the data; simply because it is a "good" solution in the least-square sense(although it doesn't make much sense from physical point of view). The wiki on the MLA even shows one example of this.

I can obviously get it to fit if I start with a "good" guess but that sort of defies the purpose of automatic fitting (and I often need to fit hundreds of experimental curves and sometimes in "real time" so doing it by hand is not really an option).
I understand that the problem is -there are several minima and the fitting algorithms finds the "wrong one" unless the initial conditions are close to the real solution- but I don't know how to solve it.
Presumably this is well-known problem, but I haven't been able to find a reference where they discuss possible solutions.

Is there any way of adding "shape preservation" to e.g. the MLA? E.g. by somehow adding that the condition for a "best fit" is that also the derivatives fit reasonably well?

Or are there any other possible solutions?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

What is the form of the equation with 5 unknowns?

Related to Shape preserving fitting algorithms

1. What is a shape preserving fitting algorithm?

A shape preserving fitting algorithm is a mathematical method used to find a curve or surface that closely approximates a set of data points while also maintaining the shape or characteristics of the original data. It is commonly used in fields such as computer graphics, statistics, and engineering.

2. How does a shape preserving fitting algorithm work?

A shape preserving fitting algorithm typically involves finding a mathematical function or model that best fits the given data points by minimizing the error between the model and the data. This is often done by using optimization techniques such as least squares or maximum likelihood estimation.

3. What types of data can be fitted using shape preserving algorithms?

Shape preserving fitting algorithms can be used on a wide range of data types, including discrete data points, continuous functions, and even complex surfaces. They are particularly useful for fitting data with features such as sharp corners, discontinuities, or monotonicity constraints.

4. What are the advantages of using shape preserving fitting algorithms?

One of the main advantages of using shape preserving fitting algorithms is that they can provide a more accurate and realistic representation of the original data compared to traditional curve fitting methods. They also allow for more control over the shape and characteristics of the fitted curve or surface.

5. Are there any limitations to shape preserving fitting algorithms?

Like any mathematical method, shape preserving fitting algorithms have their limitations. They may not be suitable for fitting highly complex or noisy data, and the choice of the fitting model can greatly affect the accuracy of the results. Additionally, the computation time and complexity may increase for larger datasets or more complex models.