Shape of Universe & Cosmological Principle

In summary, The conversation discusses the impact of the cosmological principle, which states that the universe is homogeneous and isotropic, on the shape of the hypersurface ##\Sigma_t## of the spacetime manifold ##M##. It is mentioned that the universe is only approximately homogeneous and isotropic, so the mathematical notions of these concepts may not reflect what is observed. It is questioned whether the shape of ##\Sigma_t## is truly a 3-sphere or if it is only approximately so. It is also noted that the shape of the universe does not depend on local inhomogeneities. A recent paper on this topic is mentioned.
ConfusedMonkey
Let me preface this post by saying that I only have a very cursory understanding of general relativity.

I happen to know that if we assume the cosmological principle, then the hypersurface ##\Sigma_t## of the spacetime manifold ##M##, for any positive ##t##, is either a 3-sphere, a 3-hyperboloid or just flat 3-space depending on the value of ##k## in the FRW-metric. Now, the assumptions of homogeneity and isotropy are made very mathematically precise. However, we know that the universe is only approximately homogeneous and isotropic, so our mathematical notions of homogeneous and isotropic do not exactly reflect what we observe in the universe. What consequence does this have for the shape of ##\Sigma_t##. Will it only be approximately a 3-sphere, for example? Perhaps a 3-spheroid? Or is the shape completely different and/or indeterminable?

EDIT: If the answer is that indeed the shape is approximately a 3-sphere, for example, how do we go about proving this? I get that the universe is almost an FLRW spacetime, but that does not mean that its shape has to be as if it were exactly an FLRW spacetime, does it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The data we have indicate that the universe is spatially flat. The sphere can't be excluded though but seems quite unlikely.
And further the global shape whatsoever does not depend on local inhomogeneities, because it is assumed that the cosmological principle holds on large scales.

I thought that I saw a recent paper on this topic. Let me dig a bit

Edit: I think this is the paper I was thinking of https://arxiv.org/abs/1511.01105

Related to Shape of Universe & Cosmological Principle

1. What is the shape of the universe?

The shape of the universe is a topic of ongoing debate and research among scientists. Currently, the most widely accepted model is that of a flat universe, meaning that the overall curvature of the universe is neither positively nor negatively curved. This means that the universe is infinite in size and has no edges or boundaries.

2. How do we know the shape of the universe?

Scientists have gathered observational evidence from various sources, such as the cosmic microwave background radiation, the distribution of galaxies, and the expansion rate of the universe. These pieces of evidence all point towards a flat universe, but it is important to note that our understanding of the universe is constantly evolving and subject to change.

3. What is the cosmological principle?

The cosmological principle is a fundamental concept in cosmology that states that the universe is homogenous (the same in all places) and isotropic (the same in all directions) on a large scale. This principle is the basis for many models of the universe, including the widely accepted Big Bang theory.

4. Is the cosmological principle universally accepted?

While the cosmological principle is widely accepted among scientists, there are some who propose alternative models that do not follow this principle. One example is the fractal universe model, which suggests that the universe is not homogenous on a large scale but rather has a self-similar structure at all levels of magnification.

5. How does the shape of the universe affect our understanding of the cosmos?

The shape of the universe has significant implications for our understanding of the cosmos. For example, a flat universe would suggest that the expansion of the universe will continue indefinitely, while a positively curved universe would eventually lead to a collapse. Additionally, the shape of the universe can also influence the formation and evolution of structures, such as galaxies and clusters of galaxies.