Shape memory alloy transformation problem

In summary, a friend is working with shape memory alloys and has found that when a sample is solution heat treated and then aged for 100 hours, it transforms back to martensite upon cooling, even at high temperatures. This could be due to changes in composition or microstructure caused by aging, and can be further investigated through thermo-mechanical characterization and microstructural analysis techniques such as electron microscopy and DSC.
davidyanni10
A friend of mine is working with shape memory alloys and he's got one that is behaving strangely.

At "low" temperatures a "fresh" solution heat treated sample will form martensite upon cooling, and austenite upon heating as expected. Heat and cool all you want and you get the transformation.

If heated to a "high" temperature his alloy will become "stuck" in the austenite phase and won't transform back to martensite upon cooling to room temperature. Heat and cool all you want and the sample will stay in the austenite phase.

The interesting thing is that a sample of his alloy that has been solution heat treated and then aged for 100 hours (not sure the aging temp,) then it behaves like it should even if it's heated to high temperatures. What I mean is the aged sample will transform to austenite when heated to "high" temp and then transform back to martensite upon cooling to room temp instead of getting "stuck" in the austenite phase.

Okay so my question is does anyone have any ideas about why this is happening, and any ideas on how to test any mechanisms you propose?

I am thinking that either:
1) the austenite→martensite transition is sensitive to composition and the aged sample has precipitated out some particles. Whatever components the precipitates are rich in, the matrix will subsequently be depleted in. This alteration of the matrix composition could enable the transformation to take place even after being heated to high temperatures (when really really tiny omnipresent precipitates would usually have been re-dissolved back into the matrix and upsetting the composition balance that allows the transformation)

or 2) The precipitates caused by aging act as stress concentrators or else have some residual stresses associated with them and so they act as "heterogenous nucleation sites" for the formation of martensite (I use the term nucleation even though the transformation isn't diffusion mediated so I'm not sure if it's appropriate. I figure the transformation has to start somewhere though).

So do you see a flaw in either of these arguments and/or any ideas on how to test them.

BTW, sorry I can't be more specific about his alloy's concentration and temperatures used etc. I'm not working with his data he just explained the problem qualitatively to me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think that the best way to test these ideas would be to perform a thermo-mechanical characterization of the alloy, in order to gain insight into the various transition temperatures and the microstructural changes that occur with aging. You could also do electron microscopy to look at the changes in the microstructure due to aging, as well as chemical analysis to see if there are any differences in composition between the aged and "fresh" samples. Finally, you could use differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) to measure the enthalpy change associated with the austenite→martensite transformation, in order to determine how the energetics of the transition is affected by aging.

Related to Shape memory alloy transformation problem

1. How do shape memory alloys work?

Shape memory alloys (SMAs) are materials that have the ability to "remember" their original, pre-deformed shape and return to it when heated. This is due to a solid-state phase transformation that allows the material to change its crystal structure and therefore its shape.

2. What are the applications of shape memory alloys?

SMAs have a wide range of applications, including in biomedical devices, aerospace engineering, and consumer electronics. They are used for their shape-changing properties, as well as their high strength and durability.

3. What is the transformation temperature of shape memory alloys?

The transformation temperature of SMAs varies depending on the specific alloy and its composition. Generally, it ranges from -100°C to 100°C, but some SMAs can have transformation temperatures as low as -200°C or as high as 300°C.

4. How can shape memory alloys be activated?

Shape memory alloys can be activated using different methods, including heating, cooling, or applying an electrical current. Heating is the most common method, as it is the most efficient way to trigger the phase transformation in the material.

5. Are there any drawbacks or limitations to using shape memory alloys?

While shape memory alloys have many benefits, there are also some drawbacks and limitations. These include the relatively high cost of these materials, as well as the fact that they can only undergo a limited number of shape changes before their properties start to degrade. Additionally, the transformation temperature range of SMAs may not be suitable for all applications.