Shape-changing dirigible electrical generation/transmission

• Thread starter Donald Yanzick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrical
In summary, the OP wants help designing and using a hydrogen-powered airship to generate and transmit high voltage DC electrical power. Recently obtained a patent on a shape-changing dirigible and am looking to use this craft for that purpose, and many other applications if the hydrogen safe usage testing comes back with positive results.
Donald Yanzick
Has anyone considered using a hydrogen lifted and powered airship to generate and transmit high voltage DC electrical power ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Recently obtained a patent on a shape-changing dirigible and am looking to use this craft for that purpose, and many other applications if the hydrogen safe usage testing comes back with positive results. Could use any and all help in hydrogen powered vehicle design and usage Please ?

This is a very broad and vague request. Do you have any specific questions? Otherwise I feel like what you need is venture capital funding to hire an engineering team.

Also, I can't think of an obvious way a dirigible might be connected to power generation and transmission. Can you explain that?

There are many examples of solar powered aircraft that you could study for the weight and lift ratios.

Here's one such vehicle:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/flight/a25101375/odysseus-solar-powered-aircraft/

I remember seeing a NOVA show on a solar powered plane, the Solar Impulse 2, that flew around the world starting from a point in the middle east.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/video/the-impossible-flight/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_Impulse#Solar_Impulse_2_(HB-SIB)

You can learn a lot about engineering difficulties that you might face on you project.​

Another issue is:

What will happen when your aircraft is buffeted by strong winds?

Large surface areas will make it very difficult to maintain control of your craft.

A few years ago, in 2015, the US Army lost control of their surveillance blimp and it caused havoc in the nearby localities knocking out power lines by dragging its tethering lines all over.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/oct/28/us-army-blimp-breaks-free

Lastly, you might learn something from blimp use during WWI:

https://www.pbs.org/video/nova-zeppelin-terror-attack/

Likes russ_watters
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
Donald Yanzick said:
Recently obtained a patent on a shape-changing dirigible
Link?

I searched but couldn't find a link. Perhaps its still in the process of being patented.

jedishrfu said:
I searched but couldn't find a link. Perhaps its still in the process of being patented.
Yeah, the OP's name is unique enough. I didn't find anything in US patents either. I didn't search other countries though...

berkeman said:
Yeah, the OP's name is unique enough. I didn't find anything in US patents either. I didn't search other countries though...
I did find this from a couple years ago, though...

https://contest.techbriefs.com/2016/entries/aerospace-and-defense/6425

20160421175614_Blimp_Iso_View-fill-150x77.jpg

Attachments

• 20160421175614_Blimp_Iso_View-fill-150x77.jpg
    20160421175614_Blimp_Iso_View-fill-150x77.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 527
Yes, I saw that too. I also saw the several companies have posted similar designs. These may affect how the USPTO will rule as they will ask: Now tell me how is this different from X?

Donald Yanzick said:
Recently obtained a patent on a shape-changing dirigible and am looking to use this craft for that purpose, and many other applications if the hydrogen safe usage testing comes back with positive results. Could use any and all help in hydrogen powered vehicle design and usage Please ?

@Donald Yanzick What patent number?

I just ran a search at the US Patent and Trademark site. They found nothing with 'Donald Yanzick' or with 'Yanzick' in either the Applicant or Assigned To fields. Search covered from 1976 thru today.

I’m inclined to think that @Donald Yanzick has decided to abandon this thread because of this issue of patents not found.

Likes Klystron, berkeman and anorlunda
Moffett Field is the best know, but the complete history is even more interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weeksville_Dirigible_Hangar said:
At the beginning of World War II, Naval Air Station Lakehurst, established in 1921, was the only active lighter-than-air (LTA) naval air station operated by the US Navy.[1] In 1940, the US Navy proposed to the US Congress the development of a lighter-than-air station program for anti-submarine patrols of the coast and harbors. This program proposed, in addition to the expansion at Lakehurst and the reestablishment of NAS Moffett Field as a naval LTA station, the construction of new stations in the Boston, Cape May, Cape Hatteras, southern Florida, southern Georgia, Louisiana, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Puget Sound, and Hitchcock near Galveston TX areas. The original contract included a steel hangar, 960 feet (290 m) long, 328 feet (100 m) wide and 190 feet (58 m) high, helium storage and service, barracks for 228 men, a power plant, landing mat, and a mobile mooring mast.[1] In June 1941, shortly before Congress completed action on the Navy's proposed LTA program, work began at NAS Lakehurst on a project which included the construction of two airship hangars
As finally developed in 1943, LTA facilities (with wooden hangars built) in addition to NAS Lakehurst (2) and NAS Moffett Field (2), included NAS South Weymouth (1), NAS Weeksville(1), NAS Glynco (2), NAS Richmond (3), NAS Houma (1), NAS Hitchcock (1), NAS Santa Ana (2) and NAS Tillamook (2). In the initial program, accommodations were provided for six airships at each station. This was later increased to twelve at seven of the stations and to eighteen at NAS Richmond as a result of an increase in the authorized strength to 200 airships
The US Navy started the construction of the Weeksville LTA air station on August 6, 1941, which lasted until 1942.[1][2][3] It is the only remaining steel airship hangar built during World War II and is based on the Goodyear Airdock in Akron Oh designed by Karl Arnstein.[citation needed] Due to steel rations, an additional hangar was built out of wood, which would in following decades become known as the world's largest wooden structure [4][5]before its destruction by fire in 1995.

The remnants of that burned hanger are still visible from the Pasqutank River in NC.

Likes Klystron

Related to Shape-changing dirigible electrical generation/transmission

1. How does a shape-changing dirigible generate and transmit electricity?

A shape-changing dirigible uses a combination of solar panels, wind turbines, and batteries to generate electricity. The solar panels and wind turbines collect energy from the sun and wind, respectively, and convert it into electricity. The batteries store the excess energy for later use. The dirigible's shape-changing capabilities allow it to adjust its position and orientation to optimize energy collection from the sun and wind.

2. What advantages does a shape-changing dirigible have over traditional methods of electricity generation and transmission?

A shape-changing dirigible has several advantages over traditional methods of electricity generation and transmission. Firstly, it is a renewable and sustainable source of energy, as it relies on natural resources such as the sun and wind. Secondly, it is highly versatile and can be deployed in remote or difficult-to-reach areas, making it a viable option for off-grid communities. Additionally, the dirigible's shape-changing abilities allow it to adapt to changing weather conditions, ensuring a consistent supply of electricity.

3. How does the shape-changing technology work on a dirigible?

The shape-changing technology on a dirigible involves the use of flexible and lightweight materials, such as carbon fiber and inflatable chambers. These materials allow the dirigible to change its shape and size, depending on the external conditions and energy needs. The dirigible is also equipped with sensors and control systems that enable it to adjust its shape autonomously.

4. Can a shape-changing dirigible generate and transmit enough electricity to power a city?

The exact capacity of a shape-changing dirigible to generate and transmit electricity depends on its size, location, and weather conditions. However, studies have shown that a fleet of dirigibles could potentially generate and transmit enough electricity to power a small city. As technology advances and the efficiency of renewable energy sources improves, the capacity of a shape-changing dirigible to power a city will likely increase.

5. What are the potential applications of shape-changing dirigibles in the future?

Aside from electricity generation and transmission, shape-changing dirigibles have the potential for various applications in the future. They could be used for aerial surveillance and monitoring, disaster relief efforts, and even transportation of goods and people. With advancements in technology, the possibilities for shape-changing dirigibles are endless and could revolutionize the way we think about renewable energy and transportation.