Shannon's Formula: Solve S/N for Simple RF Data Link

• Thread starter dnyberg2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, I am looking for a modulation scheme that can transmit high bit-rates with minimal bandwidth requirements while still providing good spectral density.
dnyberg2
I guess its time I try and understand Shannon's Formula as it relates to a simple RF data link application. The part I am having trouble understanding is the S/N in the formula. If I am delivering 1dB of usable RF power at some carrier frequency and have an allowable bandwidth of 870 KHz and the noise floor in this system can be said to be -80dB how in Gods name do I develop the S/N part of the equation? Any help is most welcome.

Engineering news on Phys.org
SNR (dB) = 10 log (Ps / Pn) = Ps (dB) - Pn (dB)

c = B * log10 (1+SNR) / log10 (2)

Does that help?

Zryn said:

c = B * log10 (1+SNR) / log10 (2)

Does that help?

Where did C and B come from?
The top line makes sense but you lost me with the second line...
Thanks

Are you talking about the 'Shannons formula' that relates the maximum theoretical capacity of a channel (c), the bandwidth available (B), and the signal to noise ratio (SNR) ?

c = B * log2 (1+SNR) = B * log10 (1+SNR) / log10 (2)

Zryn said:
Are you talking about the 'Shannons formula' that relates the maximum theoretical capacity of a channel (c), the bandwidth available (B), and the signal to noise ratio (SNR) ?

Yes. I'm trying to understand how to calculate the S/N ratio for that application.

This is how you generically figure out the SNR from the power (W or dB).

This is Shannons formula, which wasn't expressly written down in the original post, and is just there to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

Does that clarify everything?

Zryn said:
This is how you generically figure out the SNR from the power (W or dB).

This is Shannons formula, which wasn't expressly written down in the original post, and is just there to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

Does that clarify everything?

Sure. So c is channels and b is bandwidth?

c = Maximum theoretical channel capacity (bits/second). This may not be achievable in reality.

B = Bandwidth (Hz)

Actually, all this and more can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon%E2%80%93Hartley_theorem"

Last edited by a moderator:
Zryn said:
c = Maximum theoretical channel capacity (bits/second). This may not be achievable in reality.

B = Bandwidth (Hz)

Actually, all this and more can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon%E2%80%93Hartley_theorem"

Thanks for your patience and wisdom. Any idea where I can find a guide to the best modulation scheme that can transmit the highest bit-rates using the least bandwidth with the best spectral density? I find that GFSK looks sexy but still the bandwidth is still relatively substantial and the currently available chipsets are VERY power hungry! I am confined to the ISM band for my application. The present solution is very easy on battery power but a spectral hog. (BAD FCC) My present bit-rate is over 1mbps using a crude on / off keying approach of a very low power class D amplifier...

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Shannon's Formula: Solve S/N for Simple RF Data Link

What is Shannon's Formula?

Shannon's Formula, also known as the Shannon-Hartley Theorem, is a mathematical formula used to calculate the maximum rate at which data can be transmitted over a communication channel without errors, given a certain bandwidth and signal-to-noise ratio.

What does S/N stand for in Shannon's Formula?

S/N stands for Signal-to-Noise ratio, which is the ratio of the power of the signal to the power of the noise in a communication channel. It is a measure of the quality of the signal and is an important factor in determining the maximum data rate that can be transmitted.

How is Shannon's Formula used in a simple RF data link?

In a simple RF data link, Shannon's Formula is used to calculate the maximum data rate that can be transmitted over the link without errors. This is important in designing and optimizing the link to ensure efficient and reliable data transmission.

What are the variables in Shannon's Formula and what do they represent?

The variables in Shannon's Formula are S (signal power), N (noise power), W (bandwidth), and R (data rate). S represents the power of the signal being transmitted, N represents the power of the noise in the channel, W represents the bandwidth of the channel, and R represents the data rate that can be transmitted without errors.

What are some limitations of Shannon's Formula?

One limitation of Shannon's Formula is that it assumes a linear and additive model of noise, which may not always be the case in real-world communication channels. It also does not take into account other factors that may affect data transmission, such as interference or channel fading.