SFE CO2 Supercritical Extraction questions

In summary, SFE CO2 extraction is a process used to remove alcohol from a gel by using an autoclave to exchange the alcohol for CO2. The autoclave is filled with liquid CO2, which is then heated and pressurized to become a supercritical fluid. The CO2 is then slowly drained out, leaving the gel without damaging its bonds. This process is commonly used in producing aerogels.
SpiffDandy
Can someone possibly give me some links or info which, in more detail will explain the mechanics and process of SFE CO2 extraction? Something beyond the ' CO2 is heated to 31 C at 74 bars' . I assume the unit is charged with the extraction media, charged with liquid CO2, brought to 74 bars with the 'extracts' going over to the separator, at reduced pressure via a PRV. Then I assume the separator is isolated and the pressured CO2 is either released or recovered. Anyone else have more info/details?

Thanks ...Spiff

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well I am working on producing some aerogels and in order to this I am currently building an autoclave. I need the autoclave to do a solvent exchange of the alcohol in the gel to CO2. Basically, you take the gel and place it in the autoclave, then fill it with liquid CO2, then drain it out, and repeat until all the alcohol has been removed. Then you fill the autoclave up with CO2 and begin heating the autoclave. As the temperature rises, so does the pressure. The CO2 wants to be a gas at higher temperature, but higher pressur keeps it a liquid. Once the CO2 hits its critical point of 1071 psi and 31 ºC, it becomes what is known as a supercritical fluid. This substance is very cool looking, because it has properties of both a liquid and a gas. You then slightly open a valve in the top of the autoclave to slowly drain out the CO2 while maintaining a high temperature. Eventually all the CO2 has left and you can depressurize the vessel and remove the aerogel.

Now I am not sure if this helps at all, but basically, the CO2 just hits a critical point where it can no longer be defined as a gas or a liquid, and it can leave the pores of a gel without damaging the bonds..

y

Sure, I'd be happy to provide some additional information on SFE CO2 extraction. CO2 supercritical extraction is a method of extracting compounds from a substance using carbon dioxide in its supercritical state. This means that the CO2 is heated and pressurized to a point where it has properties of both a gas and a liquid, making it an ideal solvent for extraction.

The process typically involves three main steps: loading, extraction, and separation. In the loading phase, the substance to be extracted is loaded into the extraction vessel, along with the extraction media (usually CO2 in its liquid form). The vessel is then sealed and pressurized to the desired level.

Next, the extraction phase begins. The pressurized CO2 is heated and circulated through the extraction vessel, allowing it to come into contact with the substance and extract the desired compounds. The temperature and pressure are carefully controlled to ensure optimal extraction.

Once the extraction is complete, the mixture of CO2 and extracted compounds is sent to a separator. The separator is typically a vessel with a pressure release valve (PRV) that allows the CO2 to escape, leaving behind the extracted compounds. The CO2 can then be recovered and reused in the extraction process.

There are several factors that can affect the efficiency and effectiveness of SFE CO2 extraction, including temperature, pressure, and the physical properties of the substance being extracted. It is important to carefully control these variables to achieve the desired results.

If you would like to learn more about the mechanics and process of SFE CO2 extraction, I recommend checking out these resources:

- "Understanding Supercritical CO2 Extraction" by Eden Labs: https://www.edenlabs.com/supercritical-co2-extraction/
- "Supercritical CO2 Extraction: A Comprehensive Guide" by Precision Extraction Solutions: https://precisionextraction.com/supercritical-co2-extraction-guide/
- "Supercritical CO2 Extraction: A Beginner's Guide" by Leafly: https://www.leafly.com/news/science-tech/supercritical-co2-extraction-beginners-guide

I hope this helps! Best of luck with your research on SFE CO2 extraction.

Related to SFE CO2 Supercritical Extraction questions

1. What is SFE CO2 Supercritical Extraction?

SFE CO2 Supercritical Extraction is a method of extracting desired compounds or substances from a solid or liquid material using carbon dioxide in its supercritical state. This state is achieved when CO2 is subjected to high pressure and temperature, resulting in a solvent that has both liquid and gas-like properties.

2. How does SFE CO2 Supercritical Extraction work?

In SFE CO2 Supercritical Extraction, the material to be extracted is placed in a high-pressure vessel, and CO2 is pumped into the vessel until it reaches its supercritical state. The supercritical CO2 is then passed through the material, dissolving and carrying the desired compounds with it. The CO2 is then depressurized, causing it to return to its gaseous state, leaving behind the extracted compounds.

3. What are the advantages of using SFE CO2 Supercritical Extraction?

SFE CO2 Supercritical Extraction has several advantages over other extraction methods. It is a non-toxic and non-flammable solvent, making it safer to use. It also allows for a more selective extraction of compounds, as the temperature and pressure can be adjusted to target specific compounds. Additionally, the extracted compounds are typically of higher purity and have a longer shelf life.

4. What are the applications of SFE CO2 Supercritical Extraction?

SFE CO2 Supercritical Extraction has a wide range of applications in various industries. It is commonly used in the food and beverage industry to extract flavors and fragrances from natural sources. It is also used in the pharmaceutical industry to extract active compounds from plants for medicinal purposes. Other applications include extracting oils and waxes from plants, and separating pollutants from industrial waste streams.

5. Are there any limitations to SFE CO2 Supercritical Extraction?

While SFE CO2 Supercritical Extraction has many advantages, it also has some limitations. The equipment and setup can be expensive, making it less accessible for small-scale operations. It is also not suitable for extracting polar compounds, as CO2 is a non-polar solvent. Additionally, the process can be time-consuming, and certain compounds may require specific temperature and pressure conditions for efficient extraction.