Looking for an Experiment about water

In summary, a Science teacher conducted an experiment on the Water Cycle with a pot, hair dryer, wooden board, and ice to demonstrate how water evaporates and then condenses to create rain. However, the kids thought that the water went through the wooden board. To address this misunderstanding, the teacher requested a new experiment to show that water does not go through solid objects. After some suggestions, it was proposed to use a cold bottle to demonstrate how water droplets form on the outside due to condensation from the air.
mmcoelho
My Science teacher showed us an experiment about the Water Cycle and the interpretation kids (from primary school) had made about it.

I haven't found a link with the actal experiment, but I'll try to describe it.

There was a pot on heat, a hair drier pointing to it in direction to a wooden board and on the top of the wood board, there was ice.

The result was that the ice melted and it started "raining".

Most kids thought the water went through the wooden board and simply showed up in the other side.

Because of that, our Science teacher has requested us an experiment to help them understand that the water doesn't go through the solid wooden board...

I've been searching in the net but I'm not a native speaker, so I'm having difficulties in finding one. Can you help? Thanks,

Maria,
Portugal

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by mmcoelho
Because of that, our Science teacher has requested us an experiment to help them understand that the water doesn't go through the solid wooden board...
Why not try the experiment without using a board? Instead of putting the ice on a board, put the ice in a metal pot.

Thanks for your answer ;-)

The problem is that my teacher wants a different experiment :-( and not a change in the original one. She said the kids had trouble understading the the water simply doesn't go through objects and asked for an experiment that cleared the kids doubt once and for all. She mentioned opacity (although I didn't understand the relation)...

TIA

Maria

Yes that's the way kids think. When you take a cold (closed) bottle out of the fridge, drops of water will form on the outside of the bottle. If you ask the kids why is this, they will say it comes from the inside. So, to prove it doesn't come from the inside but out of the air, next you use an empty bottle...

Thanks! It's a good idea!

Maria

1. What is the purpose of the experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to explore the properties and behavior of water under different conditions and to understand its importance in various natural and man-made processes.

2. How do you conduct the experiment?

The experiment can be conducted by setting up controlled conditions, such as varying temperatures or adding different substances to water, and observing the changes in its behavior. Data can also be collected through measurements and observations.

3. What are some possible variables to test in the experiment?

Some possible variables to test in this experiment include temperature, pH level, salinity, and the presence of impurities or additives. These variables can affect the physical and chemical properties of water.

4. What safety precautions should be taken during the experiment?

Safety precautions should include wearing protective gear, such as goggles and gloves, when handling chemicals. Proper disposal of materials should also be followed to avoid any harm to the environment or individuals.

5. What are some potential applications of the experiment?

The results of this experiment can have various applications, such as understanding the impact of pollution on water quality, developing methods for water purification, and studying the effects of climate change on the Earth's water cycle.