North Korea Leaves NPT: Opinions on the Situation?

• News
  • Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Opinions
In summary: If the US stopped supplying them with food, their rationale goes, they would see the error of their ways and stop hating us. This is complete nonsense, of course, but it's the sort of thing that's keeping them in power.
russ_watters
Mentor
North Korea today officially pulled out of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty. Goodie. Opinions on the entire situation with N Korea?

Physics news on Phys.org
After the Iraq situation cools down, they and the USA will kiss and make up... perhaps with a little extra humanitarian aid from the USA.

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/politics/politics-korea-north-un.html [Broken]

Interestly, the US is moving its main military base out of Seoul "as soon as possible." [URL]http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGA2JJKFBED.html[/URL] [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by damgo
After the Iraq situation cools down, they and the USA will kiss and make up... perhaps with a little extra humanitarian aid from the USA.
I'll believe that when I see it, damgo.
Interestly, the US is moving its main military base out of Seoul "as soon as possible."
That would probably be a good thing - it would motivate N Korea to attack thinking the south is weak without the US. Then the south would crush them (with our help of course) and unify the country under a democratic government.

What is happening in N Korea is about as bad as what Saddam was doing to his people. I read recently that Kim Jong Il has also killed upwards of 2 million of his own people in the past 10 years (the majority through starvation). Thats a massive 10% of the population of his country.

If I were N. Korea, I would pull out of treaties too...

Originally posted by Zero
If I were N. Korea, I would pull out of treaties too...
Ok...

If I were Satan, I'd invest in gas heat.

are you saying that the oil industry is run by satanists russ?

War in Korea would be a disaster. The North Korean army consists of 2 million well armed, well trained professional soldiers, half full time, half active reserve. The people are completely in the thralldom of their government, and will resist ardently even though their masters are monsters. They probably have some nuclear weapons, and would undoubtedly use them if they were in dire straits. In all but the most contrived scenerios, China would enter the conflict.

South Korea is a thriving, industrial, democratic nation. All of that could be lost in war. South Korea would be destroyed as we know it. I would sy N. Korea would be destroyed as well, but essentially, it has been already.

They best way to deal with N Korea is to treat them like a maniac with a gun and hostages. As long as they are not shooting the hostages, just talk nicely and try to keep them calm.

Njorl

Originally posted by Njorl
The people are completely in the thralldom of their government, and will resist ardently even though their masters are monsters... In all but the most contrived scenerios, China would enter the conflict.Njorl
I pretty much agree with everything except those two statements. I cannot accept that people who are starving to death can be so brainwashed as to follow their masters to their deaths. Example: Iraq.

Why would China enter the war? This isn't 1950 and the chinese aren't stupid. They aren't on N. Korea's side.

They best way to deal with N Korea is to treat them like a maniac with a gun and hostages. As long as they are not shooting the hostages, just talk nicely and try to keep them calm.
Thats reasonable except that THIS maniac *IS* killing the hostages.

War in Korea would be a disaster. The North Korean army consists of 2 million well armed, well trained professional soldiers, half full time, half active reserve. The people are completely in the thralldom of their government, and will resist ardently even though their masters are monsters. They probably have some nuclear weapons, and would undoubtedly use them if they were in dire straits. In all but the most contrived scenerios, China would enter the conflict.
A. The koreans DO have nuclear weapons, and they certainly have the range to hit at japan, and maybe even the west coast of the US. They also have the motivation to do so.
B. A major problem is that we don't have an effective opposition to deal with here. The NK dictatorship is as strong as there is.
C. China is indeed the wildcard here. Though they are traditionally allies, they have been growing apart of late, and China is too dependent on western trade to do much. Indeed, they are probably the most important in reining the Koreans in. The prime goal of chinese policy is stability, and they would not tolerate Korean aggression forever. In a war, they would probably be on the side of the US, and try to get an amenable solution for themselves.
D. The key point is that the Koreans attribute their starvation to the US. In that way they are partially correct - we have been invoking sanctions of late. But these were in response to actions by the korean government. It would be hard to transmit this message to the koreans, though.

Tough call. It is hard to keep the koreans calm. The best is to use the Chinese to exert leverage on them to back down from their hardline stance. The primary problem they have is paranoia - they do not trust the US down to any level. That barrier needs to be broken for diplomatic dealings. Food aid may be a start, at least it would stop the immediate crisis but will it work in the long term?
I think China is the key here.

1. Why did North Korea leave the NPT?

North Korea left the NPT (Non-Proliferation Treaty) because they believed it was biased towards the five recognized nuclear powers (US, Russia, UK, France, China) and did not provide equal rights to non-nuclear countries. They also claimed that the US was threatening their sovereignty and security, and as a result, decided to withdraw from the treaty in 2003.

2. What are the implications of North Korea leaving the NPT?

The implications of North Korea leaving the NPT are significant. It means that they are no longer bound by the treaty's regulations and can develop and possess nuclear weapons without consequences. It also raises concerns about the potential for nuclear proliferation, as other countries may follow suit and leave the NPT if they see it as ineffective.

3. How has the international community responded to North Korea leaving the NPT?

The international community has responded with condemnation and concern. The United Nations Security Council has passed multiple resolutions condemning North Korea's actions and imposing sanctions on them. Additionally, countries like the US, South Korea, and Japan have increased their military presence in the region as a deterrent against North Korea's nuclear capabilities.

4. What are the possible reasons for North Korea's decision to leave the NPT?

There are multiple possible reasons for North Korea's decision to leave the NPT. Some experts believe that it was a strategic move to gain bargaining power and concessions from the international community. Others argue that it was a way for North Korea to assert its independence and pursue its own agenda without interference.

5. What can be done to address the situation with North Korea leaving the NPT?

There is no easy solution to the situation with North Korea leaving the NPT. Diplomatic efforts, such as negotiations and dialogue, have been attempted but have not yielded significant results. Some argue that increasing economic and political pressure on North Korea through sanctions may force them to come back to the negotiation table. Others suggest that promoting regional stability and addressing North Korea's security concerns may be a more effective approach.