Setting up formulas, algebra how to? Help needed tonight, please

In summary, the conversation includes several mathematical problems involving tennis membership fees, packing boxes of different sizes, party costs, coffee prices, fruit purchases, and consecutive positive even numbers. Each problem requires setting up equations and solving for unknown variables. The key is to carefully translate the given information into mathematical expressions and use algebraic techniques to find the solutions. The participant is advised to show their work and seek help in identifying and correcting mistakes.
Saturnfirefly

Homework Statement

A:
To play tennis at the local tennis club costs 150 kr/hour for non-members and 90 kr/hour for members. A membership costs 2100 kr a year. How many hous of tennis does one have to play to make it wothwhile to be a member? (kr is the swedish currency)

In a factory, goods are packed in both large and small boxes. The total mass of 3 large and 7 small boxes is 48.3 kg. The total mass of 4 large and 5 small boxes is 46.2 kg. Find the mass of each type of box.

B:
The final bill for a recent party was $400. There were two guests of hounour who did not pay anything so the cost was spread equally amongst the rest. If tehy each paid $10 mor than they would otherwise have done, how many were at the party altogether?

A shopkeeper has two brands of coffe, A at the price 13.50 kr/kg and B at 10.50 kr/kg. He wants to make a 50 kg mixture of these two, that can be sold for 11.30 kr/kg. How much of each brand shall he take? (simultaneous equation)

3. Evariste bought n oranges for 70p. Later he bough (n+1) apples for 60p. Each orange costs 4p more than each apple. Find n.

4. Two consecutive positive even numbers are squared and added together. The answer is 340. Find the two numbers.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having some problems with setting up formulas... I just don't understand how I'm supposed to. I can't do it at all. Please tell me how to do it easy. :) Thank you!
Pleasee... at least one from a and one from b... it really means a lot to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
For A2 and B2, you need two unknowns and you will derive two equations (for each exercise). For the large and small boxes exercise, say x=mass of small box, y=mass of large box. The rest of this problem is just simple translation.

Hint for 1A. First you know you are going to be a member. So what operation do you need to do with the membership cost and the hourly rate inorder to get an answer in units of hours?

Saturnfirefly said:
I'm having some problems with setting up formulas... I just don't understand how I'm supposed to. I can't do it at all. Please tell me how to do it easy. :) Thank you!
Pleasee... at least one from a and one from b... it really means a lot to me.

You know that we will not provide you with the answers. In your other threads, you showed your work and were told where you were making mistakes. You must show your work here as well.

Related to Setting up formulas, algebra how to? Help needed tonight, please

1. What is a formula in algebra?

A formula in algebra is a mathematical expression that represents a relationship between two or more variables. It can be used to solve for unknown quantities or to represent a general rule or pattern.

2. How do I set up a formula in algebra?

To set up a formula in algebra, you first need to identify the variables and their relationships in the given problem. Then, use basic algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to represent the relationship between the variables. Finally, simplify the expression to get the final formula.

3. Can you give an example of setting up a formula in algebra?

Sure, let's say we want to find the area of a rectangle with length x and width y. The formula for area of a rectangle is A = l * w. So, we can set up the formula as A = x * y.

4. How do I solve equations using algebraic formulas?

To solve equations using algebraic formulas, you need to isolate the variable you are solving for by using inverse operations. For example, if the formula is A = l * w and we are trying to solve for w, we can divide both sides by l to get w = A / l.

5. What are some common algebraic formulas that I should know?

Some common algebraic formulas include the quadratic formula (used to solve quadratic equations), the Pythagorean theorem (used to find the length of the sides of a right triangle), and the slope-intercept form (used to represent a linear equation). Other important formulas include those for finding the area and perimeter of different shapes, such as circles, triangles, and rectangles.