Setting Up an Experiment: Force vs. Displacement

In summary, the experiment involves setting up a rubber band horizontally with rods on the sides and attaching a clothespin to it. The task is to determine the distance the clothespin needs to be pulled back in order to just touch the ceiling when released, and to create a force vs. displacement graph. The equation Fd = GPE is not applicable in this case as the force increases with the stretch of the rubber band. The elastic potential energy formula 1/2kx^2 can be used, where k is the spring constant and x is the amount of stretch. However, the relationship between x and d needs to be determined using geometry. The rubber band should be placed horizontally and the initial length of the band should be taken into
a1234

Homework Statement

I'm trying to figure out the setup of an experiment I have to complete. The experiment calls for a rubber band to be secured by rods on the sides, and for a clothespin to be attached to the rubber band. I have to figure out how far back the clothespin needs to be pulled down so that it just touches the ceiling once it is let go. I have to make a force vs. displacement graph to find the work done on the rubber band and set it equal to the PE of the clothespin.

Homework Equations

I'm told that Fd (on rubber band) = GPE (clothespin).
W = Fd

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Is the mass in this case the mass of the clothespin? I'm thinking that the height should be the distance from the ground to the ceiling.

Fd = 0.01 kg * 10 m/s^2 * 2.5 m
Fd = 0.25

Is my setup correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
a1234 said:
I'm told that Fd (on rubber band) = GPE (clothespin).
Fd is only valid if the force is constant over the distance. When you stretch a string the force increases with the stretch. The general form is ∫F.ds.
For a spring or string for which the force is proportional to the extension the integral is easy. Strictly speaking, rubber bands do not fit that model very well, but I think you are supposed to assume it does. Do you know a formula for the elastic potential energy of an ideal spring?

What are you using for d?

Another difficulty is that the rubber band has mass, so this will retain some KE after the clothespin has left. Is it light compared with the mass of the clothespin?

a1234 said:
the distance from the ground to the ceiling.
You are asked how far you need to pull it down. That might not be all the way to the ground.

Likes Delta2
The formula for the elastic potential energy is 1/2kx^2.
I'm trying to find the value of d that would allow the clothespin to touch the ceiling upon release, so I haven't chosen a value for that.
The distance to the ceiling was chosen as the height because that is how far the pin would be from the ground once it hits the ceiling.
Is there a way other than integration to do this? I doubt we'd be expected to use integration, because this is a first-year physics course.

a1234 said:
The formula for the elastic potential energy is 1/2kx^2.
Right, not Fd. But what is x in that formula? Be precise.
a1234 said:
I'm trying to find the value of d that would allow the clothespin to touch the ceiling upon release, so I haven't chosen a value for that.
I understand that you are trying to find how far down to pull the pin. Is that what you are calling d? What is the relationship between that d and the x in the formula above?
a1234 said:
The distance to the ceiling was chosen as the height
Yes, but you wrote from ground to ceiling.
What is the set-up: are the ends of the elastic band at a fixed height and you are varying d (so not necessarily from ground), or is it always from ground but the height of the elastic band is varied (i.e. d)?
a1234 said:
Is there a way other than integration to do this?
Assuming the elastic band behaves as a simple spring, integration produces the ½kx2 formula, so just use that.

In 1/2kx^2, k refers to the spring constant and x to the amount of stretch in meters.
In Fd, d refers to the distance I need to pull back the clothespin, and x functions the same way in the above equation.
The rubber band should be placed horizontally (perhaps right next to a table with rods supporting it) so that its ends are at the same height throughout. The body of the rubber band (or clothespin) is pulled down, which changes the d value.

a1234 said:
In Fd, d refers to the distance I need to pull back the clothespin,
But the force you apply in pulling increases as you pull, so as I already pointed out you cannot use Fd.
a1234 said:
its ends are at the same height throughout
Ok, so the clothespin does not necessarily go from ground. If the ceiling is height h above the initial height of the band, how high does the clothespin need to travel when it is released?
a1234 said:
In 1/2kx^2, k refers to the spring constant and x to the amount of stretch
Right. So what is the relationship between x and d? Use geometry. You will need a variable for the initial length of the band.

Last edited:
Haruspex is leading you in the right direction.

Perhaps have a think about how the force required to stretch the band changes as it's stretched. Clearly using the initial force (zero?) or the final force (maximum) wouldn't be right. If not integration what other maths function might give you a more representative figure for the force?

Related to Setting Up an Experiment: Force vs. Displacement

1. What is the purpose of setting up an experiment to measure force vs. displacement?

The purpose of this experiment is to understand the relationship between force and displacement. This is important in many fields of science, including physics and engineering, as it helps us understand how objects behave when a force is applied to them.

2. How do you set up an experiment to measure force vs. displacement?

To set up this experiment, you will need a force sensor, a displacement sensor, and an object to apply force to. The force sensor should be attached to the object, and the displacement sensor should be attached to a fixed surface. The object should be moved in a controlled manner to measure the force and displacement at different points.

3. What are some variables to consider when setting up this experiment?

Some variables to consider include the type and strength of the force applied, the surface the object is being moved on, and the direction of the force. It is also important to keep the distance and speed of the object's movement consistent to get accurate results.

4. How does force affect displacement?

The relationship between force and displacement is described by Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied to an object is directly proportional to the displacement it undergoes. In other words, the more force that is applied, the more the object will move.

5. How can the results of this experiment be used in real-world applications?

The results of this experiment can be used to better understand the behavior of materials and objects under different forces, which is important in fields such as engineering, mechanics, and materials science. This information can also be used to design and improve tools and structures that are subjected to various forces in their use.