Billiards Physics: Best Resources for Learning Pool Geometry

• Thread starter Entropia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: There are a few sites that explain the physics and geometry of playing billiards (pool). Some of these sites are Amateur Physics for the Amateur Pool Player by Ron Shepard, Jim Loy's Billiard Physics, and Geometry of Pool and Billiard Shot by Tom Weiskopf. These sites all provide information on the physics and geometry of playing billiards, and can help you improve your game.
Entropia
does anybody know of any good sites that explain the physics and geometry of playing billiards (pool) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
yes yes I've tried that.

but it never ceases to amaze me, the websites other people can come across on a topic that i looked up.

but I've got enough.

thank you though! :D

So what exactly is you quest about?

well. i guess i made myself unclear.

what i meant was.. everytime i think i have "found every single website on the net possible on a particular subject", it never ceases to amaze me some cool stuff that i do miss, and only know about it when i actually *ask* people if they know of any particular sites.

This is probably all stuff you know but the most basic rule is just the geometric principle that the angle of incidence will equal the angle of reflection. So if the ball hits the side of the table at an angle of 25 degrees, it will rebound at that angle. If a ball hits another ball, the angle that it bounces off at will be similar to the ball bouncing off a wall tangential to the surface of the (struck) ball. When you hit the cue ball, the momentum from the stick is transferred to the cue. The cue transfers part of its momentum to whatever it hits. The total momentum is conserved, so that knowing the initial conditions should lead you to predict the outcome with vector analysis.

Don't also forget rolling friction (with k~0.05 for typical pool) which also applies to collisions with walls.

This is probably all stuff you know but the most basic rule is just the geometric principle that the angle of incidence will equal the angle of reflection. So if the ball hits the side of the table at an angle of 25 degrees, it will rebound at that angle. If a ball hits another ball, the angle that it bounces off at will be similar to the ball bouncing off a wall tangential to the surface of the (struck) ball. When you hit the cue ball, the momentum from the stick is transferred to the cue. The cue transfers part of its momentum to whatever it hits. The total momentum is conserved, so that knowing the initial conditions should lead you to predict the outcome with vector analysis.

The problem with this is that the effects of english (spin placed placed on the cue ball when hit) changes the geometry, effecting the cue ball bouncing off a cushion, draw, etc. and just generally make a mess of the geometry.

Yes, adding rotations and sliding friction essentially comlplicates it. But still solvable.

That's true huh, I wonder if you can get some exponential curving. I've noticed that if I move the stick a shorter distance before it strikes the cue the cue bounces back less after it hits a ball. Lower momentum gives you less friction.

Originally posted by schwarzchildradius
I've noticed that if I move the stick a shorter distance before it strikes the cue the cue bounces back less after it hits a ball. Lower momentum gives you less friction.

I don't think the distance that the cue-stick travels is a factor. Perhaps you are only hitting the ball softer, or closer to center when this happens.
Also, doesn't the friction remain fairly constant? F=uN. It only matters if the ball(s) are at rest (w.r.t. the table) or moving, when u (coefficient of friction between balls and felt) changes. The velocity (hence momentum) is irrelevant for friction as long as it is > 0.

Check these links out, Amateur Physics for the Amateur Pool Player by Ron Shepard (pdf file).
http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~penningt/262/ps/apapp.pdf [Broken]
http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~penningt/262/ps/apapp.pdf [Broken]
http://www.jimloy.com/billiard/phys.htm [Broken]http://www.jimloy.com/billiard/phys.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the importance of understanding pool geometry in billiards physics?

Understanding pool geometry is crucial in billiards physics because it allows players to predict the path of the cue ball and the object ball during a shot. This knowledge can help players strategize and improve their accuracy in making shots.

2. What are some resources for learning pool geometry in billiards physics?

Some great resources for learning pool geometry in billiards physics include online tutorials, books, and instructional videos. There are also many mobile apps and online forums dedicated to teaching the fundamentals of pool geometry.

3. How does the angle of incidence affect the path of the cue ball?

The angle of incidence, or the angle at which the cue ball strikes the object ball, plays a significant role in determining the path of the cue ball. Depending on the angle, the cue ball can either bounce off the object ball at a similar angle or deflect at a different angle.

4. What is the role of spin in billiards physics?

Spin, also known as English or side spin, is when the cue ball is hit off-center, causing it to rotate as it travels. This spin can greatly affect the trajectory of the cue ball, allowing players to manipulate the direction and speed of the object ball.

5. How can understanding billiards physics improve my overall performance in pool?

By understanding the principles of billiards physics, players can improve their accuracy, consistency, and strategy in making shots. This knowledge can also help players anticipate and plan for difficult shots, ultimately leading to a better overall performance in pool.