How Do You Set Up Double Integrals for Different Orders of Integration?

• MHB
  • Thread starter harpazo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary, the region bounded by y = 0, y = sqrt{x}, x = 4 can be graphed using horizontal strips and the integral can be evaluated using vertical strips.
harpazo
Set up an integral for both orders of integration.
DO NOT EVALUATE THE INTEGRAL.

Let S S = double integrals

Let R = region

S S y/(1 + x^2) dA

R: region bounded by y = 0, y = sqrt{x}, x = 4

I can graph the region but have no idea how to proceed from there. I need solution steps.

Physics news on Phys.org
Harpazo said:

Let R = region

S S y/(1 + x^2) dA

I can graph the region but have no idea how to proceed from there. I need solution steps.

First we should note that the functions intersect at (0, 0), so if we use vertical strips we see that they will go from x = 0 to x = 4. The bottom of each strip is bounded by the x-axis (y = 0) and the top of each strip is bounded by the function $\displaystyle \begin{align*} y = \sqrt{x} \end{align*}$. So that means our region of integration is

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} 0 \leq y \leq \sqrt{x} \end{align*}$ with $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 0 \leq x \leq 4 \end{align*}$

Harpazo said:

Let R = region

S S y/(1 + x^2) dA

Have you considered that if you post these one at a time you might be able to solve some on your own? You have posted five threads with pretty much the exact same question.

-Dan

Thank you everyone.

Harpazo said:

Let R = region

S S y/(1 + x^2) dA

Let's first look at the region $D$ over which we are directed to integrate:

View attachment 6551

Now if we use horizontal strips, then we see they are bound on the left by $x=y^2$ and on the right by $x=4$. We also see that these horizontal strips run from $y=0 $to $y=2$. And so we may write the integral as:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^2 y\int_{y^2}^4 \frac{1}{x^2+1}\,dx\,dy\)

Evaluating (I know you asked not to evaluate, but I figure enough time has gone by, and I wish to check to be sure we get the same result regardless of integration order), we obtain:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^2 y\arctan(4)-y\arctan\left(y^2\right)\,dy=\frac{1}{4}\ln(17)\)

Now, if we set this up with vertical strips, we see that they are bound on the bottom by $y=0$ and on the top by $y=\sqrt{x}$, and that these strips run from $x=0$ to $x=4$. And so we may write the integral as:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^4 \frac{1}{x^2+1}\int_0^{\sqrt{x}} y\,dy\,dx\)

Evaluating, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{1}{4}\int_0^4\frac{2x}{x^2+1}\,dx=\frac{1}{4}\ln(17)\)

I found this method simpler to integrate. :D

Attachments

• di_region_3.png
    di_region_3.png
    4 KB · Views: 51
MarkFL said:
Let's first look at the region $D$ over which we are directed to integrate:
Now if we use horizontal strips, then we see they are bound on the left by $x=y^2$ and on the right by $x=4$. We also see that these horizontal strips run from $y=0 $to $y=2$. And so we may write the integral as:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^2 y\int_{y^2}^4 \frac{1}{x^2+1}\,dx\,dy\)

Evaluating (I know you asked not to evaluate, but I figure enough time has gone by, and I wish to check to be sure we get the same result regardless of integration order), we obtain:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^2 y\arctan(4)-y\arctan\left(y^2\right)\,dy=\frac{1}{4}\ln(17)\)

Now, if we set this up with vertical strips, we see that they are bound on the bottom by $y=0$ and on the top by $y=\sqrt{x}$, and that these strips run from $x=0$ to $x=4$. And so we may write the integral as:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^4 \frac{1}{x^2+1}\int_0^{\sqrt{x}} y\,dy\,dx\)

Evaluating, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{1}{4}\int_0^4\frac{2x}{x^2+1}\,dx=\frac{1}{4}\ln(17)\)

I found this method simpler to integrate. :D

Wonderfully done!

Related to How Do You Set Up Double Integrals for Different Orders of Integration?

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical integration that involves finding the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space. It is essentially the sum of many tiny rectangles that make up the surface.

2. How do you set up a double integral?

To set up a double integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration for both the x and y variables. This is usually done by drawing a graph of the function in the xy-plane. Then, you can use the formula ∫∫f(x,y) dxdy to calculate the double integral.

3. What are some common uses of double integrals?

Double integrals are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields of science to calculate the volume, mass, and other properties of three-dimensional objects. They are also used in probability and statistics to calculate the probability of an event occurring in a two-dimensional space.

4. Can a double integral be evaluated using other methods besides the formula?

Yes, there are other methods for evaluating double integrals, such as using polar coordinates or changing the order of integration. These methods can sometimes make the calculation easier or more efficient.

5. How can I check if I have set up my double integral correctly?

You can check your double integral by evaluating it using different methods and comparing the results. You can also graph the function and the limits of integration to visualize the volume being calculated and see if it makes sense. Additionally, you can use software or online calculators to verify your answer.