Set Up Domain: Help Redirect URL to Hosted Site

• Thread starter Tom McCurdy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Domain
In summary, the conversation is about redirecting a domain purchased through web.com to a different IP address where the site is hosted. The solution suggested is to request a domain transfer from ICANN or use web.com's DNS management feature. The conversation also mentions the possibility of contacting ICANN for assistance and setting up DNS information on the host's end.
Tom McCurdy
I bought the domain www.utoe.org threw web.com and I have no Idea how to redirect the url to the one where I have my site hosted? could someone help me.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Tom McCurdy said:
I bought the domain www.utoe.org threw web.com and I have no Idea how to redirect the url to the one where I have my site hosted? could someone help me.

At any point during registration or configuration did you notice a field to enter an IP address to set as the domain authority?

If not, you'll probably have to request a domain transfer from ICANN, and you'll receive an email authorizing the transfer of the domain to your desired IP.

Right now the domain is registered to an IP in a range owned by SBC Internet Services.

What I'm worried is that you paid for a website hosting, and not a domain through a real DNS registar.

Edit: After reading web.com's front page, it appears they offer `Complete DNS Management'. So, the ability does exist. I can't provide any direct support because I'm not familiar with web.com

Last edited:
how would i go about contacting Icann?

Tom McCurdy said:
how would i go about contacting Icann?

Well, if you don't have authority of the domain and web.com does, they'll email web.com instead of you. Regardless, read my edit in the previous post.

As you can see web.com does have authority. Their `DNS management' will probably allow to you set up some fowards, subdomains, and mail exchangers; regardless, you do not have authority over it yourself.

Authoritative answers can be found from:
vsurf.com
origin = Ns5.web.com
mail addr = webmaster.vsurf.com
serial = 1093896563
refresh = 10800
retry = 3600
expire = 604800
minimum = 86400

You need to go on your host and put ur DNS info, no?

Related to Set Up Domain: Help Redirect URL to Hosted Site

What is a domain?

A domain is a unique name that identifies a website on the internet. It is used to access a website and is typically in the form of www.example.com.

How do I set up a domain?

To set up a domain, you would need to register a domain name with a domain registrar and then point the domain to your website's hosting provider. This can usually be done through the domain registrar's control panel.

What is URL redirection?

URL redirection is the process of forwarding a user from one URL to another. This is commonly used when a website changes its domain or when a specific page has been moved to a different URL.

Why do I need to redirect my URL to my hosted site?

Redirecting your URL to your hosted site ensures that visitors will be directed to your website when they type in your domain name. It also helps with search engine optimization and prevents the user from seeing an error page.

Can I redirect multiple domains to my hosted site?

Yes, you can redirect multiple domains to your hosted site. You can do this by setting up domain forwarding for each domain through your domain registrar's control panel.