Set Theory: Subsets & Power Set of A - Joe

In summary: P(A) is the set of all subsets of A. B is a subset of A, so if {B} is an element of the power set of A, then {B} must be a subset of A. This is easily seen to be false in general. Pick e.g. A = empty set, then B = empty set is a subset of A. But the power set of A is {empty set}, which does not contain {B} = {the empty set} as an element. But more interestingly, can it be true for any set A? Assume such an A exists.A is a subset of A, so {A} is an element of P(A). But
Agent M27
I am currently covering Set Theory from the book, A Transition to Abstract Mathematics (Douglas Smith) and have a question about subsets and an implication. The statement reads as follows:

If B is a subset of A, then {B} is an element of the Power Set A.

I choose this to be true. By definition the Power Set A is comprised of all subsets of A. Given the first condition that B is a subset of A I can't really see how this is false, which the book gives as the correct answer. Does it have something to do with the braces around B? The way I interpreted the statement is: If B is a subset of A, then the set B is an element of the Power Set A. I know, for example, that when x is an element of A this does not automatically imply it is also an element of the Power Set A, this is one of the cases from which the confusion arises. Thanks in advance.

Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
P(A) is the set of all subsets of A. B is a subset of A, so if {B} is an element of the power set of A, then {B} must be a subset of A. This is easily seen to be false in general. Pick e.g. A = empty set, then B = empty set is a subset of A. But the power set of A is {empty set}, which does not contain {B} = {the empty set} as an element.

But more interestingly, can it be true for any set A? Assume such an A exists.
A is a subset of A, so {A} is an element of P(A). But then {A} must be a subset A, so A is an element of A. This violates the axiom of regularity, so it cannot be true in ZFC.

Thanks a lot Jarle, the example of A= Empty Set is just what I needed to see the justification. Take care.

Joe

Agent M27 said:
I am currently covering Set Theory from the book, A Transition to Abstract Mathematics (Douglas Smith) and have a question about subsets and an implication. The statement reads as follows:

If B is a subset of A, then {B} is an element of the Power Set A.
That statement,as written, is false. What is true is that if B is a subset of A, then B (not {B} which means the set containing a single member, B) is a member of the power set of P.

I choose this to be true. By definition the Power Set A is comprised of all subsets of A. Given the first condition that B is a subset of A I can't really see how this is false, which the book gives as the correct answer. Does it have something to do with the braces around B?
Yes. "B" is not the same as "{B}".

The way I interpreted the statement is: If B is a subset of A, then the set B is an element of the Power Set A.
As I said before, {B} is the set that has the set B as its only member.

I know, for example, that when x is an element of A this does not automatically imply it is also an element of the Power Set A, this is one of the cases from which the confusion arises.
That's the same confusion in reverse! Suppose A= {1, 2, 3, 4}. Then "2" is a member of A but certainly not a subset of A (it is not a set at all- it is a number) and so not a member of the power set of A. B= {2} is a subset of A (it is the set whose only member is the number "2") and so a member of the power set of A. {B}, in that case, would be the set {{2}}, the set whose only member is the set whose only member is "2". Since B= {2} is not itself a member of A, it is {B}= {{2}} is NOT a member of the power set of A.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

, your interpretation of the statement is correct. The confusion may arise due to the notation used. In set theory, the braces around a set indicate that it is a set, while the lack of braces indicates an element of a set. So in this case, the statement is saying that if B is a subset of A, then the set B is an element of the Power Set A. This is true by definition, as you mentioned.

The reason why it is not automatically true that if x is an element of A, then it is also an element of the Power Set A, is because the Power Set A contains all subsets of A, not just individual elements. So while x may be an element of A, it may not necessarily be a subset of A, and therefore not an element of the Power Set A.

I hope this explanation clears up any confusion and helps you better understand the concept of subsets and the Power Set in set theory. Keep up the good work in your studies!

Related to Set Theory: Subsets & Power Set of A - Joe

What is a subset?

A subset is a set that contains elements that are all part of another set. In other words, every element in a subset is also an element of the larger set.

How do you denote a subset?

A subset is typically denoted using the symbol ⊆ or ⊂. The notation A ⊆ B means that A is a subset of B, while A ⊂ B means that A is a proper subset of B (meaning that it does not contain all the elements of B).

What is the power set of a set?

The power set of a set is the set of all possible subsets of that set. In other words, it is the set of all possible combinations of elements from the original set.

How do you calculate the power set of a set?

To calculate the power set of a set A, you can use the formula 2^n, where n is the number of elements in set A. This means that if set A has 3 elements, its power set will have 2^3 = 8 subsets.

What is the relationship between a set and its power set?

The power set of a set A will always be larger than the set itself, as it contains all possible subsets of A. Additionally, the power set will always include the empty set and the set itself as subsets.