Set theory representation of material implication

In summary: This is a well-known concept and can be found in various online sources, such as the Johnston diagram.
friend
Just checking here.

Propositional logic connectives like AND and OR have analogs or representations in set theory. For example, the logical connective AND is represented in set theory by intersection, an element of X AND Y is the element of the intersection of sets X and Y. And similarly, the logical connective of OR is represented in set theory by union, an element of X OR Y is the element of the union of sets X or Y.

So what is the set theoretical representation of material implication. When I googled "set theory of material implication", I did not get anything explicit. Maybe I'm not searching the right phrases. Anyway, is the set representation of implication simply the subset, an element is a member of a set X implied by Y if X is a subset of Y. Is this right, or am I missing something?

This is very important to me. I'd like to have a firm foundation for material implication in terms of set theory. Is this a well known concept? Are there any on-line references I can review and quote? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnston_diagram

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it's well known.

The set theory version of material implication is "subset". If P is the set of all things for which statement p is true and Q the set of all things for which statement q is true, then "If p then q" can be represented as "Q is a subset of P".

Related to Set theory representation of material implication

1. What is the set theory representation of material implication?

The set theory representation of material implication is a logical operator that represents a conditional statement, where the truth value of the antecedent (p) implies the truth value of the consequent (q). It can be written as p → q or p ⇒ q.

2. How is material implication used in set theory?

In set theory, material implication is used to represent relationships between sets. If set A is a subset of set B, then we can say that A implies B. This is because if an element is in A, then it must also be in B. Similarly, the material implication p → q can also be used to represent the logical relationship between two propositions in set theory.

3. What are the truth values of material implication?

Material implication follows the truth table of logical implication, where the only time it is false is when the antecedent is true and the consequent is false. In all other cases, material implication is true. This means that if p is false, or if both p and q are true, then p → q is true.

4. How does material implication differ from other logical operators?

Material implication is often confused with other logical operators, such as logical equivalence or exclusive disjunction. However, material implication is unique in that it only considers the truth values of the antecedent and consequent, rather than the relationship between the two statements. It also differs from other operators in that it can be used to represent both propositions and sets in set theory.

5. Can material implication be used in everyday language?

Yes, material implication can be used in everyday language to express conditional statements. For example, saying "If it rains, then the ground will be wet" can be represented as p → q, where p is "it rains" and q is "the ground will be wet". It is also commonly used in mathematics, computer science, and other fields to represent logical relationships between statements or sets.