Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Set Theory Proofs

MikeLandry

Mar 7, 2013
I have gotten to this point with a and b but do i am totally lost with c. Any help would be much appreciated

Consider any three arbitrary sets A, B and C.
(a) Show that if A ∩ B = A∩ C and A ∪ B = A ∪ C, then B = C.
(b) Show that if A − B = B − A, then A = B.
(c) Show that if A∩B = A∩C = B ∩C and A∪B ∪C = U, then A⊕B ⊕C = U.

For the three proofs so far i have

a) So A intersects C = A intersects B and A union B= A union C.

Let
then
. Suppose then that
then
and thus
. Contradiction.

Similarly, let
then
. Suppose that
then
and so
. Contradiction

b)

AB=ABc where Bc is the complement of B.

Now if AB then (x)[xABc or xBAc]

for

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hi MikeLandry,

Welcome to MHB! :)

I think you have the right idea for part one, but I would alter a couple of things. To show two sets, $B$ and $C$ are equal you need to show $B \subseteq C$ and $C \subseteq B$. Put another way $x \in B \implies x \in C$ and $x \in C \implies x \in B$. I think you already showed both of those things by the contrapositive but you didn't write what you showed implies.

Jameson

MikeLandry

Mar 7, 2013
Thank you very much for your quick reply. I feel confident with my solutions for questions a and b but any insite on how to solve part c would be greatly appreciated

Fernando Revilla

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
I feel confident with my solutions for questions a and b but any insite on how to solve part c would be greatly appreciated
An elegant way (but not the only one), is to use the characteristic function. Being $U$ an universal set and $M\subset U$ the characteristic function $1_M:U\to \{0,1\}$ is defined by: $$1_M(x)=\left \{ \begin{matrix} 1 & \mbox{ if }& x\in M \\0 & \mbox{if}& x\not\in M\end{matrix}\right.$$ Using the properties $$\begin{aligned}&M_1=M_2\Leftrightarrow1_{M_1}=1_{M_2}\\&1_{M\cup N}=1_M+1_N-1_M\cdot 1_N\\&1_{M\oplus N}=1_M+1_N-2\cdot1_M\cdot 1_N\end{aligned}$$ and the hypothesis $A\cup B\cup C=U$ (that is, $1_{A\cup B\cup C}=1_U$) you'll easily verify that $A\oplus B\oplus C=U$ iff: $$1_A\cdot 1_B+1_A\cdot 1_C+1_B\cdot 1_C-3\cdot 1_A\cdot 1_B\cdot 1_C=0$$ Now, use the hypothesis $A\cap B=A\cap C=B\cap C$.