Set Theory for Beginners: How is A' ⊆ A and its Complement a Subset of A?

In summary: Hi Euge,Thanks for your reply, but maybe I should rephrase my question: Could you explain what "the image of a set A' ⊆ A is the set: f(A') = {b | b = f(a) for some a ∈ A'}" actually means? Could you break it down? I don't understand what an image of a set is even after reading the definition here.Also, thanks for answering my second question -- I think I understand that now.Suppose you have function $f : A \to B$. This means that for every $a\in A$, there corresponds a unique $b\in B$ such that $f(a) = b
Romono
Could someone please explain how the image of a set A' ⊆ A is the set: f(A') = {b | b = f(a) for some a ∈ A'}. And how can the complement of A be a subset of A? Forgive my ignorance here, I'm a beginning student of set theory.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Romono,

The answer to your first question is by definition. For your second question, the complement of $A$ (in $A$) is the empty set, and the empty set is a subset of $A$.

Euge said:
Hi Romono,

The answer to your first question is by definition. For your second question, the complement of $A$ (in $A$) is the empty set, and the empty set is a subset of $A$.

Hi Euge,

Thanks for your reply, but maybe I should rephrase my question: Could you explain what "the image of a set A' ⊆ A is the set: f(A') = {b | b = f(a) for some a ∈ A'}" actually means? Could you break it down? I don't understand what an image of a set is even after reading the definition here.

Also, thanks for answering my second question -- I think I understand that now.

Suppose you have function $f : A \to B$. This means that for every $a\in A$, there corresponds a unique $b\in B$ such that $f(a) = b$. Given $a \in A$, the element $f(a) \in B$ is called the image of $a$. Thus, given a subset $A'$ of $A$, $f(A')$ is the set of images $f(a')$, as $a'$ ranges over $A'$.

Let's consider an example. Define a function $f : \{1, 2, 3\} \to \{a, b, c\}$ by setting $f(1) = a$, $f(2) = b$, and $f(3) = c$. Since $1$ and $2$ are the only elements of $\{1, 2\}$, $f(\{1,2\}) = \{f(1), f(2)\} = \{a, b\}$. How about $f(\{2,3\})$? Since $2$ and $3$ are the only elements of $\{2, 3\}$, $f(\{2, 3\}) = \{f(2), f(3)\} = \{b, c\}$.

Here's another example. Let $\Bbb N$ denote the set of natural numbers. Define $g : \Bbb N \to \Bbb N$ by setting $g(n) = n + 1$ for all $n\in \Bbb N$. Let's find $g(2\Bbb N)$, where $2\Bbb N$ is the set of even natural numbers. Every element of $2\Bbb N$ is of the form $2n$ for some $n\in \Bbb N$. Now $g(2n) = 2n + 1$ for all $n \in \Bbb N$. Thus $g(2\Bbb N)$ consists of all natural numbers of the form $2n + 1$. In other words, $g(2\Bbb N)$ is the set of odd natural numbers.

Euge said:
Let's consider an example. Define a function $f : \{1, 2, 3\} \to \{a, b, c\}$ by setting $f(1) = a$, $f(2) = b$, and $f(3) = c$. Since $1$ and $2$ are the only elements of $\{1, 2\}$, $f(\{1,2\}) = \{f(1), f(2)\} = \{a, b\}$.

Just to be clear in this example, {a,b} would then be the image, wouldn't it? I think I'm understanding it now...

Romono said:
Just to be clear in this example, {a,b} would then be the image, wouldn't it? I think I'm understanding it now...

Yes, it is the image of the set $\{1,2\}$.

Related to Set Theory for Beginners: How is A' ⊆ A and its Complement a Subset of A?

1. What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of objects. It provides a framework for understanding and analyzing mathematical concepts and structures.

2. What is a subset?

A subset is a set that contains elements that are all part of another set. In other words, all the elements in a subset are also elements of the larger set.

3. How is A' ⊆ A?

A' ⊆ A means that the complement of set A, denoted by A', is a subset of set A. This means that all the elements in A' are also in A.

4. What is the complement of a set?

The complement of a set is the set of all elements that are not in the original set. In other words, it is the set of all elements in the universal set that are not in the original set.

5. Why is A' ⊆ A and its complement a subset of A?

This is because the complement of a set contains all the elements that are not in the original set. Therefore, the complement of a set can only be a subset of the original set, as the original set contains all the elements in the universe.