Set theory - expression describing subset

In summary, set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with collections of objects called sets and provides a foundation for other areas of math. A subset is a smaller collection of elements from a larger set, with the difference between a proper and improper subset being the inclusion of all elements. Subsets are expressed using the notation A ⊆ B, and the cardinality of a subset is the number of elements it contains, denoted by |A|.
tsrgb

Homework Statement

I have two sets E and L.
I have to show that E is a subset of L, using only complement, union and the empty set.
I.e. all members of E also have to be members or L, but L may contain members not included in E.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I right in describing it thus:
complement(complement(E) union L) = Ø

Any help is appreciated.tsrgb

Physics news on Phys.org
Its quite easy to work out or check your answers if you draw up a Venn Diagram =]

Related to Set theory - expression describing subset

What is set theory and how does it relate to mathematics?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of collections of objects, called sets. It provides a foundation for many other areas of mathematics, such as algebra, calculus, and logic.

What is a subset in set theory?

In set theory, a subset is a collection of elements from a larger set. A subset is considered to be a part or a smaller version of the larger set, and it may contain some or all of the elements of the larger set.

What is the difference between a proper subset and an improper subset?

A proper subset is a subset that contains some but not all of the elements of a larger set. An improper subset is a subset that contains all of the elements of a larger set. In other words, an improper subset is a subset that is equal to the larger set.

How do you express a subset in set theory?

A subset is expressed using the notation A ⊆ B, which means that the set A is a subset of the set B. This notation is read as "A is a subset of B" or "A is contained in B".

What is the cardinality of a subset?

The cardinality of a subset is the number of elements it contains. It is denoted by |A|, where A is the subset. For example, if a set A = {1, 2, 3, 4}, then |A| = 4, as it contains four elements.