Set of Points in complex plane

This says that the distance between z and the point 1 - i is 1. What does this look like in the complex plane? In summary, the given condition |z - 1 + i| = 1 describes a circle in the complex plane with center at (1, -1) and radius 1. This is because the absolute value operation represents distance, and the equation states that the distance between z and the point (1, -1) is 1, forming a circle with (1, -1) as the center and 1 as the radius.
monnapomona

Homework Statement

Describe the set of points determined by the given condition in the complex plane:
|z - 1 + i| = 1

Homework Equations

|z| = sqrt(x2 + y2)
z = x + iy

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried to put absolute values on every thing by the Triangle inequality
|z| - |1| + |i| = |1|
sqrt(x2 + y2) - 1 + 1 = 1
sqrt(x2 + y2) = 1

Not sure if I'm approaching this question correctly...

Physics news on Phys.org
The triangle inequality ##|z + w| \leq |z| + |w|## won't help you, because it's an inequality. The set of points with ##|z - 1 + i| = 1## is not the same as the set of points with ##|z| + |1| + |i| = 1##.

A better approach is to recognize that
$$|z - 1 + i| = 1$$
if and only if
$$|z - 1 + i|^2 = 1$$
The squared equation is easier to work with, because for any complex number ##w## we have ##|w|^2 = w\overline w##, where ##\overline w## is the complex conjugate of ##w##.

monnapomona said:

Homework Statement

Describe the set of points determined by the given condition in the complex plane:
|z - 1 + i| = 1

Homework Equations

|z| = sqrt(x2 + y2)
z = x + iy

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried to put absolute values on every thing by the Triangle inequality
|z| - |1| + |i| = |1|
sqrt(x2 + y2) - 1 + 1 = 1
sqrt(x2 + y2) = 1

No, you are not: ##|z - 1 + i| = 1## does NOT imply that ##|z| -|1| + |i| = |1|## or anything at all like it. In fact, it is almost always true that ##|z_1 + z_2| \neq |z_1| + |z_2|##.

monnapomona said:

Homework Statement

|z - 1 + i| = 1

It says "describe" the set of points. Try thinking geometrically.

PeroK said:
It says "describe" the set of points. Try thinking geometrically.
And along these lines, an important use of the absolute value operation is to indicate the distance between two points. So |z - 1 + i| = 1 could also be written as |z - (1 - i)| = 1.

Related to Set of Points in complex plane

1. What is a set of points in the complex plane?

A set of points in the complex plane is a collection of ordered pairs that represent the coordinates of points on a two-dimensional plane. Each ordered pair consists of a real number and an imaginary number, denoted as (a+bi), where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. This set of points can be graphed on the complex plane, with the horizontal axis representing the real numbers and the vertical axis representing the imaginary numbers.

2. How is a set of points in the complex plane different from a set of points in the Cartesian plane?

The main difference between a set of points in the complex plane and the Cartesian plane is that the complex plane uses both real and imaginary numbers, while the Cartesian plane only uses real numbers. This means that the points on the complex plane have both a real and imaginary component, while the points on the Cartesian plane only have a real component.

3. What is the significance of the origin in the complex plane?

The origin in the complex plane, denoted as (0+0i), represents the point where the real and imaginary axes intersect. It is important because it serves as the reference point for all other points on the plane. The distance of a point from the origin is known as its magnitude, and the angle it forms with the positive real axis is known as its argument.

4. How can a set of points in the complex plane be represented algebraically?

A set of points in the complex plane can be represented algebraically using the set-builder notation, which is written as {z | z = a + bi, a and b are real numbers}. This notation indicates that all possible points on the complex plane can be written in the form of (a+bi), where a and b are real numbers. It can also be represented using the Cartesian form, which is written as z = x + yi, where x is the real part and yi is the imaginary part.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding sets of points in the complex plane?

Understanding sets of points in the complex plane is essential in many fields, such as engineering, physics, and computer science. It can be used to represent and analyze alternating currents in electrical circuits, solve differential equations in physics, and design and analyze digital signal processing algorithms in computer science. It is also used in various mathematical concepts, such as complex numbers, polar coordinates, and the geometric interpretation of complex functions.