Hawking approach to quantizing GR

In summary, I think that the approach tried by Hawking in the 1980s and 1990s, but apparently abandoned, was called "euclidean quantum gravity." It involved a sum over spacetimes somewhat analogous to a feynmann path integral---a spacetime being like a path.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
any comment on an approach to quantum gravity tried by Stephen Hawking, I think in the 1980s and 1990s, but apparently abandoned?
It was called "euclidean quantum gravity" and involved a sum over spacetimes somewhat analogous to a feynmann path integral---a spacetime being like a path.

In his 1998 review Rovelli puts Euclidean QG in the section dealing with "Old Hopes turning into Approximate Theories". he makes an interesting point that both spinfoam and dynamical triangulation simplicial QG can be seen as developing out of Hawking's initiative:

-------quote from Rovelli gr-qc/9803024--------

B. Old hopes --> approximate theories

1. Euclidean quantum gravity Euclidean quantum gravity is the approach based on a formal sum over Euclidean geometries (6):

[tex]Z = N \int D[g] e^{-\int d^4x sqrtg R[g]} [/tex]

As far as I understand, Hawking and his close collaborators do not anymore view this approach as an attempt to directly define a fundamental theory. The integral is badly ill defined, and does not lead to any known viable perturbation expansion. However, the main ideas of this approach are still alive in several ways.

First, Hawking’s picture of quantum gravity as a sum over spacetimes continues to provide a powerful intuitive reference point for most of the research related to quantum gravity. Indeed, many approaches can be sees as attempts to replace the ill defined and non-renormalizable formal integral (6) with a well defined expression. The dynamical triangulation approach (Section IV-A) and the spin foam approach (Section V-C2) are examples of attempts to realize Hawking’s intuition. Influence of Euclidean quantum gravity can also be found in the Atiyah axioms for TQFT (Section V-C1).

Second, this approach can be used as an approximate method for describing certain regimes of nonperturbative spacetime physics...

------end exerpt----

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
this is the thread and post that I intended, I somehow accidentally entered the other (fragmentary) one a minute earlier, which I would appreciate if a mentor would delete so there won't be the apparent duplication

This from J. Baez:
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/week67.html
"Hawking likes the "Euclidean path-integral approach" to quantum gravity. The word "Euclidean" is a horrible misnomer here, but it seems to have stuck. It should really read "Riemannian", the idea being to replace the Lorentzian metric on spacetime by one in which time is on the same footing as space. One thus attempts to compute answers to quantum gravity problems by integrating over all Riemannian metrics on some 4-manifold, possibly with some boundary conditions. Of course, this is tough --- impossible so far --- to make rigorous. But Hawking isn't scared; he also wants to sum over all 4-manifolds (possibly having a fixed boundary). Of course, to do this one needs to have some idea of what "all 4-manifolds" are."

BTW, the Euclidean path integral is also known as Hawking integral
In fact, Hawking wrote a book about EQG,this

if you want to pay the 113 $!

Last edited:
meteor said:
But Hawking isn't scared; he also wants to sum over all 4-manifolds (possibly having a fixed boundary). Of course, to do this one needs to have some idea of what "all 4-manifolds" are."
Smells like Hawking is heading to Strings@Branes theories math tools to deal with the PROBLEM :smile:

i personally find hawking to be nearly incomprehensible. after reading "the nature of space and time", the series of essays by hawking and penrose, i was able to follow penrose with little difficulty, whereas EVERY essay by hawking seemed convoluted, confused, very poorly written, almost to the point where i had to assume hawking didnt understand the concept himself, much less being able to convey his thoughts in anything resembling a coherent fashion. it was as if he was more concerned with sounding super-intelligent than with addressing the subject matter in a clear way - like 20 pages of spinfoam instead of just saying straight out, "i don't know". i was reminded of feynman's comment that he always believed that if he was not able to explain something to a freshman, it meant that he(feynman) did not understand the concept well enough himself.

1. What is Hawking's approach to quantizing General Relativity (GR)?

Hawking's approach to quantizing GR is a theoretical framework that attempts to reconcile the laws of general relativity (which describe gravity) with the laws of quantum mechanics (which describe the behavior of particles on a very small scale).

2. How does Hawking's approach differ from other attempts to quantize GR?

Hawking's approach differs from other attempts in that it utilizes a technique known as "Euclideanization," which involves rotating time and space coordinates in a specific way. This allows for the use of well-established mathematical tools and techniques from quantum mechanics in the quantization process.

3. What are the main challenges in applying Hawking's approach to quantizing GR?

One of the main challenges is that it requires a deep understanding of both general relativity and quantum mechanics, which are two very complex and often conflicting theories. Another challenge is that the quantization process can be mathematically difficult and may result in inconsistencies or contradictions.

4. What are the potential implications of successfully quantizing GR using Hawking's approach?

If successful, quantizing GR using Hawking's approach could provide a more complete understanding of the fundamental laws of nature. It could also potentially lead to the development of a theory of quantum gravity, which would unify general relativity and quantum mechanics and could have applications in fields such as cosmology and high-energy physics.

5. Has Hawking's approach to quantizing GR been experimentally tested?

No, Hawking's approach to quantizing GR has not yet been experimentally tested. It is still a theoretical framework and has not yet been confirmed by empirical evidence. However, it is an active area of research and scientists continue to explore and refine the approach in hopes of eventually being able to test it experimentally.