Serway Physics for Scientists & Engineers

• Thread starter member 392791
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discussed different opinions on a specific textbook, with some finding it too focused on formulas without proper explanations and others finding it verbose and not helpful for problem-solving. Mention was made of another textbook, Halliday: Fundamentals of Physics, which was highly recommended by many people. The conversation also suggested checking out different books in the library to find one that suits individual learning styles. Finally, there was a consensus that the Halliday textbook was better than the Serway one in terms of presentation and clarity.
member 392791
What do you all think of this textbook? It seems to me to be a lot of plug in chug to get formulas without an explanation for the motivation and just a lot of algebra

Physics news on Phys.org
When I was starting my studies I checked it out, can't say I liked it that much either.

We are using it in my physics classes. To me it is super verbose with the weirdest examples that don't really give you an idea on doing other problems of the topic.

A lot of people on the forum seems to like the book by Halliday: Fundamentals of Physics.

Also have a look at the different books in the library that fits your way of learning.

I'm using it at the moment, not great but still usable. Only using it cause I lack the mathematical background for K&K's mechanics book. I think most standard first-year textbooks are like that...though I've read through bits of the 7th edition of Sears and Zermansky's 'University Physics' and liked their explanations better than Serway's text, short but clear (e.g. in Serway's book, the thermodynamics part wasn't clear at all, S&Z's text was shorter for that part but made much more sense)

I'd add a plus 1 to Halliday to. The Serway book pissed me off a lot because I felt like it tried to sound as mega smart as possible when explaining simple concepts like what capcitance is dependent on for example...

I've read through the Mechanics section for both Serway and Halliday, and I got to say I like the Halliday text better. I felt that the overall presentation of Halliday was better

Related to Serway Physics for Scientists & Engineers

1. What is "Serway Physics for Scientists & Engineers"?

"Serway Physics for Scientists & Engineers" is a popular textbook used in college-level physics courses. It covers a wide range of topics in physics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and modern physics. It is known for its clear explanations, numerous examples, and challenging problems.

2. Who is the author of "Serway Physics for Scientists & Engineers"?

The textbook is co-authored by Raymond A. Serway and John W. Jewett. Serway is a professor emeritus of physics at James Madison University, while Jewett is a professor of physics at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona.

3. Is "Serway Physics for Scientists & Engineers" suitable for beginners?

While the textbook is primarily aimed at college-level students, it can also be used by high school students with a strong mathematical background. The book starts with basic concepts and builds upon them, making it accessible for beginners.

4. Does "Serway Physics for Scientists & Engineers" include real-world applications?

Yes, the textbook includes real-world examples and applications of physics concepts. This helps students understand the relevance of physics in everyday life and how it is used in various fields, such as engineering, medicine, and technology.

5. Are there online resources available for "Serway Physics for Scientists & Engineers"?

Yes, there is an accompanying website that provides additional resources for students, including practice problems, interactive quizzes, and video tutorials. The website also offers resources for instructors, such as lecture slides and test banks.