Seriously? Moment of Force about a specified Axis

In summary, the conversation is about finding the moment of force about a specified axis and one person is asking for help with their method for solving the problem. Other people chime in with suggestions and the problem is eventually resolved. The person who asked for help realizes they made a small error and thanks the others for their assistance.
Saladsamurai
[SOLVED] Seriously? Moment of Force about a specified Axis

So I really thought I understood this. I have attached the problem and attempt at solution. It should be easy to follow. Problem
Picture1-3.png

Attempt at Solution
This was my process:

1. Write each F and each r as cartesian vectors
2. Find each moment by cross product.
3. Add the moments to get resultant moment M_R. Find unit vector along Oa axis=U_oa
4. Use resultant Moment and Unit vector along Oa to find
M_R dot U_oa=|M_oa|
5. Write as Cartesian vector-->|M_oa|*U_oa
Picture2-2.png

The answer is supposed to be 26.1i-15.1j lb*ft. As you can see, my answer isn't close (WTF else is new!)

What is wrong with my method?
Thanks,
Casey

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't believe I keep getting the same wrong answer!

I think for Moment 2 you suppose to only have (i) term

Look at your second cross product again. Don't get discouraged, :-).

Imagine attaching a flexible pipe from the origin to the a point on the line of action of F2 and pulling on it with a rope in the direction of f2, the pipe would begin to trace out a disk and the direction of the moment caused by F2 about the origin would be defined as being perpendicular to this disk and hence must only have an i component.

Last edited:
tongpu said:
I think for Moment 2 you suppose to only have (i) term

dontdisturbmycircles said:
Look at your second cross product again. Don't get discouraged, :-).

Thanks guys! I was worried that my method was wrong. I wonder if I will EVER stop making tiny stupid errors. I just can't seem to stop...no matter how careful and aware I think I am being.

Oh well...siggghhh.
Thanks again!

Related to Seriously? Moment of Force about a specified Axis

What is the concept of Moment of Force?

The moment of force, also known as torque, is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object around a specified axis. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is Moment of Force calculated?

The moment of force can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force applied by the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation to the line of action of the force. The formula is M = F x d, where M is the moment of force, F is the applied force, and d is the distance from the axis to the line of action.

What is the significance of specifying an axis for Moment of Force?

The axis specified for the moment of force determines the direction in which the object will rotate. It is important to specify the correct axis in order to accurately calculate and predict the rotational motion of an object.

What are some real-life examples of Moment of Force?

Moment of force is present in many everyday activities, such as opening a door, using a wrench to tighten a bolt, or swinging a baseball bat. It is also an important concept in engineering and mechanics, for example, in designing machines that use rotational motion.

How is Moment of Force related to stability?

Moment of force plays a crucial role in determining the stability of an object. An object with a larger moment of force is more likely to topple over compared to an object with a smaller moment of force. This is why it is important to consider the moment of force when designing structures or objects that need to remain stable.