Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Series summation

Pranav

Nov 4, 2013
Find the sum of the following series upto infinite terms:

$$\cot^{-1}\left(\frac{5}{\sqrt{3}}\right)+\cot^{-1}\left(\frac{9}{\sqrt{3}}\right)+\cot^{-1}\left(\frac{15}{\sqrt{3}}\right)+\cot^{-1}\left(\frac{23}{\sqrt{3}}\right)+\cdots$$

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
Find the sum of the following series upto infinite terms:

$$\cot^{-1}\left(\frac{5}{\sqrt{3}}\right)+\cot^{-1}\left(\frac{9}{\sqrt{3}}\right)+\cot^{-1}\left(\frac{15}{\sqrt{3}}\right)+\cot^{-1}\left(\frac{23}{\sqrt{3}}\right)+\cdots$$
Since I'm more familiar with the function $\displaystyle \tan^{-1} x$ let me write the series as...

$\displaystyle S = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \tan^{-1} \frac{\sqrt{3}}{n^{2} + n + 3}\ (1)$

We can use the general formula...

$\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \tan^{-1} \frac{c}{n^{2} + n + c^{2}} = \tan^{- 1} c\ (2)$

... obtaining...

$\displaystyle S = \tan^{-1} \sqrt{3} = \frac{\pi}{3}\ (3)$

The prove of (2) will be supplied in a successive post...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Pranav

Nov 4, 2013
Since I'm more familiar with the function $\displaystyle \tan^{-1} x$ let me write the series as...

$\displaystyle S = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \tan^{-1} \frac{\sqrt{3}}{n^{2} + n + 3}\ (1)$

We can use the general formula...

$\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \tan^{-1} \frac{c}{n^{2} + n + c^{2}} = \tan^{- 1} c\ (2)$

... obtaining...

$\displaystyle S = \tan^{-1} \sqrt{3} = \frac{\pi}{3}\ (3)$

The prove of (2) will be supplied in a successive post...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$
Hi chisigma!

Thanks for participating, your answer is correct! I am interested in your proof for (2). :)

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
Hi chisigma!

Thanks for participating, your answer is correct! I am interested in your proof for (2). :)
May be that the best for me is to open a math note dedicated to the series of inverse functions...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Pranav

Nov 4, 2013
May be that the best for me is to open a math note dedicated to the series of inverse functions...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$
Definitely! (Yes)