Series Solution for DE to Solving with Zill's Book

In summary: Once you have a few f''''(0), f'''''(0), and so on, the pattern will be clear and you can write the solution as a sum.
weber
Hey!

I'm having problems with finding the general solution of this DE,

using series.

I have readed the Zill book, but I don't know how to start solving.

Any help is appreciated!

[TEX] y'' - 4xy' -4y = e^x[/TEX]

Physics news on Phys.org
weber said:
Hey!

using series.

Any help is appreciated!

Hi weber, :)

Let me provide some insight into this problem.

This is a Linear Non-homogeneous differential equation with variable coefficients. Although there are standard methods(which are mentioned in Zill's book) to solve Non-homogeneous differential equations with constant coefficients, this one does not fall into that category.

However you can proceed with the power series method by taking, \(y=\sum_{x=0}^{\infty}a_{n}x^n\) and \(e^x=\sum_{x=0}^{\infty}\frac{x^n}{n!}\)

I got the recurrence relation,

\[a_2=\frac{4a_0+1}{2}\mbox{ and }a_{n+2}=\frac{4(n+1)a_n+\frac{1}{n!}}{(n+1)(n+2)} \mbox{ for }n\geq 1\]

By looking at the solution that Wolfram gives, even if we can get a closed form for this recurrence relation it would need some tedious bit of algebra.

By clicking on the "show steps" button in the above link you may see that a much simpler method is suggested by Wolfram.

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

This helped me a lot!

Thank you again Sudharaka!

weber said:
Hey!

using series.

Any help is appreciated!

It is requested the general solution of the second order DE...

$\displaystyle y^{\ ''} -4\ x\ y^{\ '} -4\ y=e^{x}$ (1)

... so that this 'solution' must contain two arbitrary constants. A relatively 'easy' although not very 'popular' way to met this goal is first suppose that the general solution is analytic in x=0, so that is...

$\displaystyle y(x)=a_{0}+ a_{1}\ x + a_{2}\ x^{2}+ a_{3}\ x^{3} + ...$ (2)

... where...

$\displaystyle a_{n}= \frac{1}{n!}\ \frac{d^{n}}{d x^{n}} f(x)_{x=0}$ (3)

The 'arbitrary constants' are given by the initial conditions so that is $\displaystyle a_{0}=y(0)$ and $\displaystyle a_{1}=y^{\ '}(0)$. The other $a_{n}$ are derived from (1) as follows...

$\displaystyle y^{\ ''} = 4\ x\ y^{\ '} + 4\ y + e^{x} \implies a_{2}= \frac{1}{2}\ (4\ a_{0}+1)$ (4)

$\displaystyle y^{\ '''} = 4\ x\ y^{\ ''} +8\ y^{\ '} + e^{x} \implies a_{3}= \frac{1}{6}\ (8\ a_{1} + 1)$ (5)

$\displaystyle y^{(4)} = 4\ x\ y^{\ '''} +12\ y^{\ ''} + e^{x} \implies a_{4}= \frac{1}{24}\ (48\ a_{0}+13)$ (6)

... and the procedure can be repeated indefinitely...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
Just an added note. The ODE can be integrated once giving

$y' - 4xy = e^x + c_1$

which is now first order and linear.

Another approach to "series solution" is to recall that we can always write a function, f(x), as its MacLaurin series $\sum_{i=0}^\infty \frac{f^{(n)}(0)}{n!} x^n$. If we are given the initial values as $y(0)= y_0$ and $y'(0)= y_1$, we can imediately use the differential equation to find y''(0): $y''= 4xy'+ 4y+ e^x$ so $y''(0)= 0(y_1)+ 4(y_0)+ 1= 4y_0+ 1$. Now, differentiate: $y'''= 4y'+ 4xy''+ 4y'+ e^x$ and taking x= 0, $y'''(0)= 8x_1+ 1$. Differentiate again: $y''''= 12y''+ 4xy'''+ e^x$ so that y''''(0)= 12(4_0+ 1)+ 1. Continue like that.

Related to Series Solution for DE to Solving with Zill's Book

What is a series solution of a DE?

A series solution of a differential equation (DE) is a method of solving a DE by representing the solution as an infinite series of terms. This allows for an approximate solution to be found when the DE cannot be solved analytically.

When is a series solution used?

A series solution is typically used when the DE cannot be solved by other methods, such as separation of variables or integration factors. It is also used when an exact solution is not necessary, and an approximate solution is sufficient.

How is a series solution found?

To find a series solution of a DE, the DE is first rewritten in terms of a power series with unknown coefficients. These coefficients are then determined by substituting the power series into the DE and equating the coefficients of each term. This results in a system of equations that can be solved to find the coefficients.

What are the benefits of using a series solution?

Series solutions allow for an approximate solution to be found when an exact solution is not possible. They also allow for the solution to be expanded to any desired degree of accuracy by including more terms in the series. Additionally, series solutions can be used to find solutions to DEs with non-constant coefficients.

What are the limitations of a series solution?

Series solutions are only applicable to linear DEs, which limits their use. Additionally, finding the coefficients of the series can be a tedious and time-consuming process, especially for higher degree DEs. Furthermore, the accuracy of the solution depends on the number of terms included in the series, so finding a good approximation may require a large number of terms.