Series RLC Circuit & Differential Equations

In summary: It is the ability of an object to store electric charge. Resistors and capacitors have the same amount of capacitive (or capacitance) but they have different resistance values.
pags920

Homework Statement

I have a series RLC circuit, no values given, connected to a voltage source Vs(t). I am asked to write the differential equations for:

a. that relates the inductor current iL(t) to the source voltage Vs(t).
b. that relates the capactor voltage Vc(t) to the source voltage Vs(t).

The Attempt at a Solution

I was told that all it is was the general equation for a series RLC circuit:

L(d^2/dt^2) + R(di/dt) + (1/C)i = 0

Any help would be very appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
pags920 said:

Homework Statement

I have a series RLC circuit, no values given, connected to a voltage source Vs(t). I am asked to write the differential equations for:

a. that relates the inductor current iL(t) to the source voltage Vs(t).
b. that relates the capactor voltage Vc(t) to the source voltage Vs(t).

The Attempt at a Solution

I was told that all it is was the general equation for a series RLC circuit:

L(d^2/dt^2) + R(di/dt) + (1/C)i = 0

Any help would be very appreciated.

If you have a series circuit, you should use KVL:

[tex]V_L + V_R + V_C = V_S[/tex]
Now
[tex]V_L = L\frac{di}{dt} [/tex]
[tex]V_R = R i [/tex]
[tex] i = C \frac{dV_C}{dt}[/tex]

Replace this in the KVL equation and you have the equation for the capacitor voltage.

Hello! I too had to do a couple of these back in my D.E. Class!

First and foremost, a picture would be a great deal of help, secondly, depending on where your junctions are, and the amount/location of your resistors/capacitors/inductors, it's going to vary your equations.

Also, a really important thing to note is, if there ARE capacitors in your circuit, you're going to have to write every in that loop with the capacitor, in terms of charge.

There are two different ways you can do this, i'll try and make a little chart to help you out:

In terms of Current -- Use this if only inductors and resistors are present
Er(resistor)= R * i
EL(inductor)= L * di/dt
EC(capacitor)= N/A

In terms of Charge -- You must use this if you have a capacitor present, to relate everything
Er(resistor)= R * dq/dt
EL(inductor)= L * d2q/dt2
EC(capacitor)= (1/c)*q

If you have multiple branches (I cannot help unless I see a diagram) you will also have multiple equations.

But other than that, I'm still new to the site so...sorry about my lack of proper equation making skills!

Edit: Never mind about branches if your circuit is series!

i had to prove it and i did all the steps . I know the magnitude of the impedence of the circuit , but can anyone please do a detailed calculation by using phasors for this equation?? and thank you

Phasors are applicable only to AC sinusoidal analysis.

what is the meaning of capacitive? are they different with capacitance?

maisarah said:
what is the meaning of capacitive? are they different with capacitance?
Hi maisarah. Does your question relate to something in the thread you posted in? If so, can you point out where as I cannot see to what you are referring.

Capacitive refers to something characteristic of capacitance.

Related to Series RLC Circuit & Differential Equations

What is a Series RLC Circuit?

A Series RLC (Resistor-Inductor-Capacitor) Circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor, an inductor, and a capacitor connected in series. It is used to control the flow of current and voltage in an electrical circuit.

What are the components of a Series RLC Circuit?

The components of a Series RLC Circuit are a resistor, an inductor, and a capacitor. The resistor limits the flow of current, the inductor resists changes in current, and the capacitor stores electrical energy.

What is the role of differential equations in a Series RLC Circuit?

Differential equations are used to describe the behavior of the components in a Series RLC Circuit. They help us understand how the current, voltage, and impedance change over time in the circuit.

How do I solve a Series RLC Circuit using differential equations?

To solve a Series RLC Circuit using differential equations, you need to set up and solve a second-order differential equation that represents the circuit. This equation can then be solved using various techniques, such as the Laplace transform or the method of undetermined coefficients.

What are some real-life applications of Series RLC Circuits?

Series RLC Circuits have a wide range of applications in various industries such as telecommunications, power transmission, and electronic filtering. They are also used in the design of audio equipment, electrical motors, and electronic control systems.