A function with certain conditions on derivatives at 0

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of generating functions for functions with certain conditions on derivatives at 0. It introduces the sets ##A##, ##S_c##, and ##T_c##, and discusses their properties and how they are related. The conversation also explores the possibility of finding a generating function for the discrete logistic sequence using a Taylor series approach. It is suggested that the ansatz with a Taylor series is the best approach due to the local conditions of ##S_c## and the possibility of an exponential function in ##T_c##. However, it is also mentioned that there is a possibility that ##T_c= \{\,0\,\}##.
phoenixthoth
a function with certain conditions on derivatives at 0-generating functions

i don't know how to do superscripts, so let's say [f,n](x) is the nth derivative of f at x.

let A be the set of infinitely differentiable functions from I to R where I is some possibly infinite open interval containing 0.

for any c in R,
let S_c={f in A such that [f,n+1](0) = c [f,n](0) (1 - [f,n](0)) for all n>=0}.

what are the properties of S_c?

ideally, i'd like a statement like f is in S_c iff f is of the following algebraic form...

is S_c a proper subset of
T_c:={f in A such that [f,n+1](x) = c [f,n](x) (1 - [f,n](x)) for all n>=0 and all x in I}?

a closely related way to ask this is if
f(x)=SUM[(a[k] x^k)/k!, {k,0,oo}] and for all k,
a[k+1]=c a[k](1-a[k]),
what is f?

i'm trying to find a generating function for the sequence of iterates for the discrete logistic sequence. the things I've seen about generating functions only refer to linear recurrence relations.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
phoenixthoth said:
a function with certain conditions on derivatives at 0-generating functions

i don't know how to do superscripts, so let's say [f,n](x) is the nth derivative of f at x.
##f^{(n)}(x)##
let A be the set of infinitely differentiable functions from I to R where I is some possibly infinite open interval containing 0.
##A=C^\infty(I)\, , \,0\in I\subseteq \mathbb{R}## open
for any c in R,
let S_c={f in A such that [f,n+1](0) = c [f,n](0) (1 - [f,n](0)) for all n>=0}.
##S_c := \{\,f\in C^\infty(I)\,|\,f^{(n+1)}(0)=c\cdot f^{(n)}(0)\text{ for all }n\in \mathbb{N}_0\,\}##
what are the properties of S_c?

ideally, i'd like a statement like f is in S_c iff f is of the following algebraic form...

is S_c a proper subset of
T_c:={f in A such that [f,n+1](x) = c [f,n](x) (1 - [f,n](x)) for all n>=0 and all x in I}?
##T_c := \{ \, f \in C^\infty (I) \,|\, f^{(n+1)} (x) =c \cdot f^{(n)} (x) - c\cdot (f^{(n)}(x))^2 \text{ for all }n\in \mathbb{N}_0\, , \,x\in I\,\}##
a closely related way to ask this is if
f(x)=SUM[(a[k] x^k)/k!, {k,0,oo}] and for all k,
a[k+1]=c a[k](1-a[k]),
what is f?
##f(x)=\sum_{k=0}^\infty a_k\dfrac{x^k}{k!}\, , \,a_{k+1}=ca_k -ca_k^2 \stackrel{?}{\Longrightarrow} f##
i'm trying to find a generating function for the sequence of iterates for the discrete logistic sequence. the things I've seen about generating functions only refer to linear recurrence relations.
It looks as if the ansatz with a Taylor series is the best approach. For ##S_c## there are only local conditions, so it makes sense to look at the local Taylor series. For ##T_c## there could be a possibility of an exponential function ##A(x)e^{B(x)}## if at all. But at first sight it could well be that ##T_c= \{\,0\,\}##.

Last edited:

1. What are the conditions for a function to have a derivative of 0 at 0?

The conditions for a function to have a derivative of 0 at 0 are that the function must be continuous at 0 and its left and right-hand derivatives must be equal at 0.

2. Can a function have a derivative of 0 at 0 but not be continuous at 0?

No, a function cannot have a derivative of 0 at 0 if it is not continuous at 0. The continuity of a function is a necessary condition for its derivative to exist at a point.

3. What does it mean for a function to have a derivative of 0 at 0?

Having a derivative of 0 at 0 means that the slope of the tangent line to the function at 0 is 0. This indicates that the function has a flat spot or a horizontal tangent at that point.

4. How can I determine if a function has a derivative of 0 at 0?

To determine if a function has a derivative of 0 at 0, you can use the definition of the derivative or the limit definition. You can also check if the function is continuous at 0 and if its left and right-hand derivatives are equal at 0.

5. What is the significance of a function having a derivative of 0 at 0?

A function having a derivative of 0 at 0 can indicate a point of inflection or a local extremum (maximum or minimum) at that point. It can also mean that the function is constant or has a horizontal tangent at that point.