Say no to NASA, yes to private companies: USA Today

• NASA
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nasa Usa
In summary, the report described how, since the 1980s, nearly $5 billion — practically as much as it cost to build the original shuttle fleet — had been wasted in an effort to build some form of shuttle replacement. None of the programs NASA started — and that Congress had approved — ever got off the ground. Most of the programs never even built usable hardware.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The report described how, since the 1980s, nearly $5 billion — practically as much as it cost to build the original shuttle fleet — had been wasted in an effort to build some form of shuttle replacement. None of the programs NASA started — and that Congress had approved — ever got off the ground. Most of the programs never even built usable hardware.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2003-09-23-zimmerman-edit_x.htm

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd still suggest some serious government oversight...corporations are evil, in case you missed the last 20 years!

Originally posted by Zero
I'd still suggest some serious government oversight...corporations are evil, in case you missed the last 20 years!

ZERO! As a corporate stock holder I am deepely offended; at least I would be if I weren't so evil.

No doubt; we don't want the next Enron running the space program. Also, in a free market wouldn't we expect the safety concerns to be balanced against cost to a greater extent than now; you know, acceptable losses?

Safety concerns? That's a laugh...

Its a tough battle to decide who would be more incompetent, a corporation or a government. The government has the inside track though, since it isn't burdened by the need to turn a profit or other market forces.

Originally posted by russ_watters
Its a tough battle to decide who would be more incompetent, a corporation or a government. The government has the inside track though, since it isn't burdened by the need to turn a profit or other market forces.

True. Counterpoint: Corporations can be much more efficient.

I guess it would depend what type of safety you're speaking of, unsafe work environment can be very costly to private corporations. On the other hand who bears the cost of unsafe work environment in government equivalent? I'm not so sure that the government has that great of a track record on safety either. I don't have the numbers to support that (I haven't looked for em, yet.)..but I'm firm enough in my belief to bet on it.

Originally posted by russ_watters
But, at the same time, the drive for profit makes any and all other concerns nearly nonexistant, in this new 'market', where making a buck is more important than human beings, the environment, or anything else you can think of.

Corporations are less likely to be radical when the financial risks are so high - to push technology to new places. NASA is known for its innovation - not that corporations are not, but in an area like space where, as mentioned, costs run in the hundreds of millions to even create a design, corporations are less likely to take risks. There is a counterpoint of course, NASA propensity to take risks runs hand in hand with its propensity to lose money on failed projects. We just have to decide if we want to fund a more progressive program (NASA) or a more economically sound program (no doubt one of the big aero-space corporations).

1. Why should the USA support private companies instead of NASA?

Private companies have proven to be more efficient and cost-effective in space exploration, allowing for more opportunities and advancements in the industry. Additionally, supporting private companies promotes competition and innovation, leading to potential breakthroughs in technology and space exploration.

2. Won't decreasing funding for NASA hinder scientific discovery and progress?

While NASA has been a leader in space exploration and scientific research, private companies have also made significant contributions in these areas. Private companies such as SpaceX and Blue Origin have made advancements in reusable rockets and spacecraft, paving the way for more affordable and sustainable space exploration. Therefore, supporting private companies does not necessarily mean a decrease in scientific progress.

3. How can we ensure the safety of astronauts with private companies leading space exploration?

Private companies are also subject to strict safety regulations and protocols, just like NASA. In fact, private companies often have more flexibility in implementing safety measures due to their smaller size and more agile operations. Additionally, competition among private companies drives them to prioritize safety in order to maintain their reputation and secure future contracts.

4. What role will NASA play if private companies take the lead in space exploration?

NASA will still play a crucial role in space exploration, as it has the resources and expertise to oversee and regulate private companies. NASA can also focus on more ambitious missions, such as sending humans to Mars, while private companies handle routine space operations. Additionally, NASA can collaborate with private companies to share knowledge and resources, leading to even more advancements in space exploration.

5. Will supporting private companies lead to the commercialization of space and exploitation of resources?

While private companies may have their own motivations for space exploration, such as profitability, there are also regulations in place to prevent the exploitation of resources. Additionally, commercialization of space can also bring benefits such as job creation and economic growth. It is important for government agencies like NASA to oversee and regulate the activities of private companies to ensure responsible and ethical practices in space exploration.