Series Convergence: Showing Convergence & Sum Equivalence

In summary: Show that sum_(n=0)^infinity (2^n x^n)/((1+x^2)^n) converges for all x in R\{-1,1}b) Even though this is not a power series show that sum above = 1 + sum_(n=1)^infinity (2nx^n) for all -1<x<=1. For part a by the ratio and root test we get |(2x)/(1+x^2)| but this does not have an n in it anymore to take the limit as n -> infinity. So I guess this means that the limit as n
mathgirl1
a) Show that sum_(n=0)^infinity (2^n x^n)/((1+x^2)^n) converges for all x in R\{-1,1}

b) Even though this is not a power series show that sum above = 1 + sum_(n=1)^infinity (2nx^n) for all -1<x<=1.

For part a by the ratio and root test we get |(2x)/(1+x^2)| but this does not have an n in it anymore to take the limit as n -> infinity. So I guess this means that the limit as n-> infinity is just (2x)/(1+x^2) which is a real number for all x. So does this mean that it converges for all x since the limit exists and is real? But this logic would mean that it would also converge for 1 and -1 since 2(1)/(1+1^2) = 2/2=1 and the same for -1. But this is cleary not true.

For part b it is clear that the term is 1 when n=0 so I understand how it would be 1 + sum_(n=1)^infinity (2^n x^n)/((1+x^2)^n) but not sure how to deduce that its the sum of 2nx^n.

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
mathgirl said:
a) Show that sum_(n=0)^infinity (2^n x^n)/((1+x^2)^n) converges for all x in R\{-1,1}

b) Even though this is not a power series show that sum above = 1 + sum_(n=1)^infinity (2nx^n) for all -1<x<=1.

For part a by the ratio and root test we get |(2x)/(1+x^2)| but this does not have an n in it anymore to take the limit as n -> infinity. So I guess this means that the limit as n-> infinity is just (2x)/(1+x^2) which is a real number for all x. So does this mean that it converges for all x since the limit exists and is real? But this logic would mean that it would also converge for 1 and -1 since 2(1)/(1+1^2) = 2/2=1 and the same for -1. But this is cleary not true.

For part b it is clear that the term is 1 when n=0 so I understand how it would be 1 + sum_(n=1)^infinity (2^n x^n)/((1+x^2)^n) but not sure how to deduce that its the sum of 2nx^n.

Wellcome on MHB mathgirl!...

For the point a) You can set $\displaystyle z= \frac{2\ x}{1 + x^{2}}$ and the series becomes $\displaystyle S(z) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} z^{n}$, a geometric series which converges for $\displaystyle |z|<1 \implies |x| < 1$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

I am not understanding. So (2x)/(1+x^2) < 1 => 2x < 1 + x^2 => 0 < x^2 - 2x + 1 => 0 < (x-1)^2 => 0 < x -1 => 1 < x. So I can understand how the series converges for x > 1 but what about for x < 1 like the problem states?

Hi mathgirl! Welcome to MHB! :)

mathgirl said:
I am not understanding. So (2x)/(1+x^2) < 1 => 2x < 1 + x^2 => 0 < x^2 - 2x + 1 => 0 < (x-1)^2 => 0 < x -1 => 1 < x. So I can understand how the series converges for x > 1 but what about for x < 1 like the problem states?

I'm afraid your reasoning is not entirely correct.

You have $0 < (x-1)^2$.
Note that a square is always positive or zero.
In this case the square is zero if $x=1$.
So the inequality is satisfied if $x\ne 1$.

Furthermore, you have the extra condition that \(\displaystyle {2x \over 1+x^2} > -1\).
That should give you another condition.

mathgirl said:

For part b) You can consider that... $\displaystyle 1 + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} 2\ n\ x^{n} = 1 + 2\ x\ \frac{d}{dx} \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} x^{n} = 1 + \frac{2\ x}{(1-x)^{2}}\ (1)$

... where the series in (1) is geometric so that it converges for |x|<1...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Well I feel like an idiot now for part a and was making that way more difficult than it needed to be. Thank you both for the help.

If you could help me more on part b that would be great but not necessary. I guess I have had enough help at this point but anyway here goes...

So if n= 0 the sum becomes 1 + sum_{n=1}^inf (2^n x^n) / (1+x^2)^n. We can use the fact that it converges for all x in the interval -1<x<1 and so use the sum of the geometric series to get this is = 1 + 1/(1-r) = 1 + 1/(1-((2x)/(1+x^2))) = 1 + (1+x^2)/((x-1)^2) But now where?

I tried to work backwards like you suggested and I guess I do not understand the algebra cause I get that 1 + sum_{n=1}^inf (2nx^n) = 1 + 2 d/dx sum_{n=1}^inf x^n. Even if I understand the last equality you gave me I do not see how (2x)/(1-x)^2 relates to the give sum in part a.

More help is appreciated. Also, is there a tutorial on how to use math symbols and the programming that this site has to offer so i can better type this stuff up like you?

mathgirl said:
Well I feel like an idiot now for part a and was making that way more difficult than it needed to be. Thank you both for the help.

If you could help me more on part b that would be great but not necessary. I guess I have had enough help at this point but anyway here goes...

So if n= 0 the sum becomes 1 + sum_{n=1}^inf (2^n x^n) / (1+x^2)^n. We can use the fact that it converges for all x in the interval -1<x<1 and so use the sum of the geometric series to get this is = 1 + 1/(1-r) = 1 + 1/(1-((2x)/(1+x^2))) = 1 + (1+x^2)/((x-1)^2) But now where?

I tried to work backwards like you suggested and I guess I do not understand the algebra cause I get that 1 + sum_{n=1}^inf (2nx^n) = 1 + 2 d/dx sum_{n=1}^inf x^n. Even if I understand the last equality you gave me I do not see how (2x)/(1-x)^2 relates to the give sum in part a.

More help is appreciated. Also, is there a tutorial on how to use math symbols and the programming that this site has to offer so i can better type this stuff up like you?

I apologize for the hurry I had and I intend to repair with a more detailed explanation. I suppose You know the concept of power series and derivative. A power series in the complex plane is written as $\displaystyle f(z) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_{n}\ z^{n}$ and You can demonstrate that it converges inside a circle where is $\displaystyle |z-z_{0}|< r$. Another property of a power series is that the derivative $\displaystyle f^{\ '} (z) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} n\ a_{n}\ z^{n-1}$ has the same circle of convergence of f(z) and vice-versa. The 'simplest' power series is the geometric series $\displaystyle f(z) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} z^{n} = \frac{1}{1 - z}$ for which is $z_{0}=0$ and r=1. Its derivative is $\displaystyle f^{\ '} (z) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} n\ z^{n-1} = \frac{1}{(1-z)^{2}}$ and it has the same circle of convergence. At this point I hope all is more clear for You and if not please don't exitate to require more explanation because 'nobody come from nothing'... Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$P.S. In MHB there is an excellent tutorial of LaTex and I suggest You to read it...

Related to Series Convergence: Showing Convergence & Sum Equivalence

1. What does it mean for a series to converge?

When a series converges, it means that the sum of its terms approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. In other words, as more terms are added to the series, the total value approaches a specific number rather than increasing without bound.

2. How do you show that a series converges?

To show that a series converges, you can use various tests such as the comparison test, ratio test, or integral test. These tests involve analyzing the behavior of the series' terms and determining if they approach zero or a finite value as the number of terms increases.

3. What is sum equivalence in series convergence?

Sum equivalence in series convergence means that two series have the same sum, even if they have different terms. This can be useful when trying to determine the convergence of a series by comparing it to a known convergent series.

4. How can you prove sum equivalence in series convergence?

To prove sum equivalence, you can use the Cauchy condensation test or the telescoping series method. These techniques involve manipulating the terms of the series to show that they have the same sum as a known convergent series.

5. What is the importance of understanding series convergence and sum equivalence?

Understanding series convergence and sum equivalence is important in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering. It allows us to determine if a series will approach a finite value or not, and to compare the convergence of different series. This knowledge is also essential in solving real-world problems that involve infinite series, such as calculating the value of an investment over time or predicting the behavior of a physical system.