Series Circuit with two batteries

In summary: Oh ok. I found that I had three equations for only two unknowns. Let me double check my equations first.
Ryoblck

Homework Statement

A. Make a prediction about the direction of current flow through each resistor. (6 points)
B. What current flows through each resistor? (15 points)
C. What is the voltage drop across R2? (4 points)

Homework Equations

Req=R1+R2+R3

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm sort of lost as to how to go about the equation. Normally I could tell the direction of the current when given a positive or negative sign near the battery.

Attachments

• Series Circuit.jpg
    Series Circuit.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 574
Physics news on Phys.org
Ryoblck said:

Homework Statement

A. Make a prediction about the direction of current flow through each resistor. (6 points)
B. What current flows through each resistor? (15 points)
C. What is the voltage drop across R2? (4 points)

Homework Equations

Req=R1+R2+R3

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm sort of lost as to how to go about the equation. Normally I could tell the direction of the current when given a positive or negative sign near the battery.

The wider end of the battery is +.

So the top half of the circuit goes counter clockwise while the bottom half goes clockwise?

Ryoblck said:
So the top half of the circuit goes counter clockwise while the bottom half goes clockwise?

attachment.php?attachmentid=56768&d=1363380603.jpg

Certainly, the bottom loop goes clockwise.

While you may be correct regarding the top loop, I wouldn't hazard a guess without further analysis. (analysis of the circuit, not my personal analysis with my shrink!)

Ryoblck..

One way to analyse this type of circuit is to mark on the circuit arrows showing which direction you are assuming the current and voltage drops to be in the resistors. These have to be self consistent but it doesn't matter if you are wrong!

Then you apply KCL and KVL to write a series of simultaneous equations. It's important that these are written correctly taking into account the direction of the arrows.

When you solve these simultaneous equations some values may come out -ve. That just means you got the direction of the arrow wrong when you made your assumption. No matter. Don't change the arrows because that will make your working out appear wrong.

CWatters said:
Ryoblck..

One way to analyse this type of circuit is to mark on the circuit arrows showing which direction you are assuming the current and voltage drops to be in the resistors. These have to be self consistent but it doesn't matter if you are wrong!

Then you apply KCL and KVL to write a series of simultaneous equations. It's important that these are written correctly taking into account the direction of the arrows.

When you solve these simultaneous equations some values may come out -ve. That just means you got the direction of the arrow wrong when you made your assumption. No matter. Don't change the arrows because that will make your working out appear wrong.

So I should solve the circuit by guessing the type of direction the current is flowing? Then the answer will tell me whether I'm wrong or not?

Ryoblck said:
So I should solve the circuit by guessing the type of direction the current is flowing? Then the answer will tell me whether I'm wrong or not?

If your answer is negative you picked the wrong direction, but your answer is still correct since two minuses make a plus! In other words, a current going in one direction is the same as the negative of the same current going in the other direction.

rude man said:
If your answer is negative you picked the wrong direction, but your answer is still correct since two minuses make a plus! In other words, a current going in one direction is the same as the negative of the same current going in the other direction.

Ok. Well I solved it out and after making some changes to the direction, I think I got it right. The top half will flow clockwise while the bottom will flow counter-clockwise. That is what I got. And regarding the current, I got the Current in R1 to be 3 amperes, Current in R2 to be 1.5 amperes, and Current in R3 to be 2 amperes. Does that sound right?

I got the Current in R1 to be 3 amperes, Current in R2 to be 1.5 amperes, and Current in R3 to be 2 amperes. Does that sound right?

Sorry it can't be right.

There is no way to make 3, 1.5 and 2 add up to zero as required by KCL at (for example) the node at the top left.

CWatters said:
Sorry it can't be right.

There is no way to make 3, 1.5 and 2 add up to zero as required by KCL at (for example) the node at the top left.

Oh ok. I found that I had three equations for only two unknowns. Let me double check my equations first.

Last edited:
After trying some equations for an hour, I'm still lost. The only problem with my equations is the unknowns of the current. I don't know where to begin to find it. I realized that I actually need three equations for the three unknown currents.

I2=I1+I3
i) I1R1-E1-I2R2
ii)E2-I3R3-E1-I2R2

I started from the top left and the middle left.

Can you mark up the diagram with your initial assumptions about the voltage drops and currents.

I would start by marking the top left node Va and the bottom right node Vb=0V (arbitrary choice). Then apply KCL to one of these nodes.

I2=I1+I3

I prefer to write that in the form..

I1 +I3 -I2 = 0

Hint: You can write equations for each current in terms of Va.

CWatters said:
Can you mark up the diagram with your initial assumptions about the voltage drops and currents.

I would start by marking the top left node Va and the bottom right node Vb=0V (arbitrary choice). Then apply KCL to one of these nodes.

I prefer to write that in the form..

I1 +I3 -I2 = 0

Hint: You can write equations for each current in terms of Va.

I labeled top right resistor R1, the middle battery E1, middle resistor R2, bottom left battery E2, and bottom resistor R3. I didn't include Va or Vb anywhere because I never understood that stuff

I've redrawn the circuit and labeled up the currents. I made the arbitrary decision that they all flow into node Vb which clearly can't be true...

Applying KCL to node Vb you get

IR3 + IR2 + IR1 = 0 ... (eqn 1)

What we would like are equations for each of those currents. One way to do that is as follows...

Looking at the bottom row of the drawing you have the path...

Node Va --- 6V bat --- R3 ---- Node Vb

Using Ohms law we can write an equation for IR3 as follows..

IR3 = (Va - 6V - Vb)/R3

Since we have choosen Vb = 0 that reduces to

IR3 = (Va - 6V)/R3 ........ (eqn 2)

Using the same approach you can write..

IR2 = (Va - -12V)/R2 = (Va+12)/R2 .... (eqn 3)
and
IR1 = Va/R1 .......... (eqn 4)

Now put eqn 2,3,4 into 1...

(Va - 6V)/R3 + (Va+12)/R2 + Va/R1 = 0

Substituting values for the resistors that reduces to

Va = -24/11 Volts

Then each current can be calculated individually...

IR1 = Va/R1 = -1.091 A

IR2 = (Va - -12)/R2 = 2.455 A

IR3 = (Va - 6)/R3 = -1.364

As a check add up the currents...

-1.091 + 2.455 -1.364 = 0

Note that...

IR1 is negative so the current in the top is flowing in the oposite direction to my arrow (eg anti clockwise!)

IR3 is also negative so the current in the bottom loop is flowing in the oposite direction to my arrow (eg clockwise!).

Perhaps revise the prediction, draw the arrows the other way where necessary and repeat the calculations :-)

Attachments

• Two loops.png
    Two loops.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 419
Thank you so much! That actually made sense in the end. Now about the third question, its about the voltage drop across R2. I used the V=IR equation substituting R2 with 4 ohms and I2 with 2.455 A and found that it was 9.82 V. Does that sound right?

It might be :-)

There is an easy way to check the drop on R2 because I calculated Va and Vb. The voltage drops down that branch must add to Va-Vb.

Oh ok that makes sense. Thanks for all of your help. :)

Last edited:

Related to Series Circuit with two batteries

1. What is a series circuit with two batteries?

A series circuit with two batteries is a type of electrical circuit in which two batteries are connected in a series, meaning the positive terminal of one battery is connected to the negative terminal of the other battery. This creates a continuous loop for electric current to flow through.

2. What are the benefits of using a series circuit with two batteries?

One benefit of using a series circuit with two batteries is that it can provide a higher voltage output. When batteries are connected in series, their voltages are added together, resulting in a higher overall voltage.

Another benefit is that it can extend the life of the batteries. When batteries are connected in series, they share the load and each battery does not have to work as hard, resulting in a longer lifespan for the batteries.

3. Can different types of batteries be used in a series circuit?

Yes, different types of batteries can be used in a series circuit. However, it is important to note that the batteries should have the same voltage and capacity to ensure they work together effectively.

4. How do I calculate the total voltage in a series circuit with two batteries?

To calculate the total voltage in a series circuit with two batteries, simply add the individual voltages of each battery together. For example, if one battery has a voltage of 1.5V and the other has a voltage of 3V, the total voltage would be 4.5V.

5. What happens if one battery in a series circuit with two batteries dies?

If one battery in a series circuit with two batteries dies, the circuit will be broken and no more current will flow. This is because a series circuit relies on a continuous flow of current through each component, so if one component (in this case, a battery) fails, the circuit will not work.