Series and Parallel Combination

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating the total voltage in a circuit and the solution involves understanding the voltage drops in the parallel resistor section and only counting the voltage drop in one branch when checking the voltage balance.
marcoforce
[Note: Thread has been moved to the homework forums by a mentor]

This is the Given problem
parallel_series.jpg

This is my solution part 1
- What I did here is I series the R3 and R4 (R3 + R4), and I parallel the R34 to R5 (most of the calculation are from the calculator)
part1_soln.jpg

This is my solution part 2

part2_soln.jpg

The problem is when I check and compute the total voltage from V1,V2,V3,V4,V5 the result is 12 and more volts not 8 volts exactly, I can't locate my error and miscalculation

Physics news on Phys.org
marcoforce said:
[Note: Thread has been moved to the homework forums by a mentor]

This is the Given problem
View attachment 100290
This is my solution part 1
- What I did here is I series the R3 and R4 (R3 + R4), and I parallel the R34 to R5 (most of the calculation are from the calculator)
View attachment 100292

This is my solution part 2

View attachment 100293

The problem is when I check and compute the total voltage from V1,V2,V3,V4,V5 the result is 12 and more volts not 8 volts exactly, I can't locate my error and miscalculation
The problem comes when you check the voltage drops in the parallel resistor section. In the parallel resistors, the current of 1.075A divides, so there is a different current in each branch. The same voltage drop, however, is present in each branch.

For this circuit, I5 ⋅ 10 Ω = I34 ⋅ (3 Ω + 5 Ω), and I34 + I5 = 1.075 A

SteamKing said:
The problem comes when you check the voltage drops in the parallel resistor section. In the parallel resistors, the current of 1.075A divides, so there is a different current in each branch. The same voltage drop, however, is present in each branch.

For this circuit, I5 ⋅ 10 Ω = I34 ⋅ (3 Ω + 5 Ω), and I34 + I5 = 1.075 A

Yes, The current in I3 and I4 is different to I5, since I34 is parallel to I5 their voltage is the same. Sorry I still don't get it, maybe I'm missing something. My circuit in I3 and I4 is .60 and in I5 is .477 so to add = 1.077A which is close.

marcoforce said:
Yes, The current in I3 and I4 is different to I5, since I34 is parallel to I5 their voltage is the same. Sorry I still don't get it, maybe I'm missing something. My circuit in I3 and I4 is .60 and in I5 is .477 so to add = 1.077A which is close.
In your original voltage check, you are adding the voltage drop from both branches of the parallel resistors. The voltage drop in each branch is the same; you only need to add this voltage drop once to the drops in R1 and R2.

SteamKing said:
In your original voltage check, you are adding the voltage drop from both branches of the parallel resistors. The voltage drop in each branch is the same; you only need to add this voltage drop once to the drops in R1 and R2.

Sorry, But I still don't get it, what must be the V5, V3 and V4 should be?

marcoforce said:
Sorry, But I still don't get it, what must be the V5, V3 and V4 should be?
V5 = I5 ⋅ 10Ω

I think you can work out what V3 and V4 are.

The point is in your original voltage drop calculations around the circuit, you counted the voltage drop in each branch of the parallel resistors separately, which is why you got a total voltage drop of more than 8 volts. You only need to count the voltage drop in one branch of the parallel resistors, either V5 or V3 + V4, when checking that the voltage drop in the circuit balances the voltage from the battery.

SteamKing said:
V5 = I5 ⋅ 10Ω

I think you can work out what V3 and V4 are.

The point is in your original voltage drop calculations around the circuit, you counted the voltage drop in each branch of the parallel resistors separately, which is why you got a total voltage drop of more than 8 volts. You only need to count the voltage drop in one branch of the parallel resistors, either V5 or V3 + V4, when checking that the voltage drop in the circuit balances the voltage from the battery.

Meaning Vtotal = V1 + V2 + V3 + V4 OR V1 + V2 + V5?

marcoforce said:
Meaning Vtotal = V1 + V2 + V3 + V4 OR V1 + V2 + V5?
Exactly.

Thanks! Now I remembered.

Related to Series and Parallel Combination

1. What is the difference between series and parallel combination?

In a series combination, components are connected in a single path, so the current is the same through each component. In a parallel combination, components are connected in multiple paths, so the current is divided among each component.

2. What happens to the resistance in a series and parallel combination?

In a series combination, the total resistance is the sum of the individual resistances. In a parallel combination, the total resistance is less than the smallest individual resistance.

3. How does voltage affect components in series and parallel combinations?

In a series combination, the voltage is divided among the components, with the sum of the individual voltages equaling the total voltage. In a parallel combination, the voltage is the same across each component.

4. Can a series or parallel combination have more than two components?

Yes, both series and parallel combinations can have more than two components. In a series combination, all components are connected in a single path. In a parallel combination, all components are connected in multiple paths.

5. What are some examples of series and parallel combinations in real-life?

An example of a series combination is a string of Christmas lights, where all the bulbs are connected in a single path. An example of a parallel combination is a household electrical circuit, where multiple outlets are connected in parallel to the main power source.