Serial Resistor solution to finding individual voltage not adding up

In summary: Just use a calculator to double check your calculations, and remember that there will always be some measurement error, so expect a slight difference from the theoretical values.In summary, the speaker is trying to brush up on technical math skills but is struggling with basic concepts. They have a 20volt power supply and 4 resistors with specific values. They are using Ohm's law to determine the voltage going through each resistor but keep getting a slightly different answer than expected. The speaker is wondering if this difference in potential energy is normal between paper calculations and actual resistors in a circuit. They are advised to measure the actual values of the resistors and use a calculator to double check their calculations. It is also noted that there will always be some measurement
perpc
Ok. I am adding this up time and time again and its just not making no sense. I am sitting here trying to brush up on technical math skills this week before i get my soldering iron so i don't mess nothing up. and here i am i can't understand the basics.

I have a 20volt power supply and 4 resistors: R1, R2, R3 and R4. R1 = 200Ω R2 = 700
R3 = 300Ω R4 = 400 Ok what i did was use ohms law and all the other crap. so anyways in order to determine how much voltage is going through each individual resistor i need to multiply current by resistance. I did that to each one and when i get done i keep coming up with 19.68 rather than 20. Can someone please help me figure this out before i go and blow a circuit board or something one day not knowing basic stuff? OH yeah and the current running through the circuit is 0.0123 milliamps

Engineering news on Phys.org
IM SORRY, even though its the subject itself, i forgot to mention they are in serial, not parallel. :)

You specified the banded resistance of your resistors, did you actually measure them? Remember they have a tolerance and can be off the banded number by up to 5%. There will always be some measurement error so do not expect to be perfect. It is good enough if you measure inside of 5%. The way I compute it you have about 1.6% error... Looks good to me.

thanks alot. i just realized that i should of posted this under elec. tech what you say makes sense. does this still apply though if its just a simple problem though? I mean I am just makin up problems and random to make sure i got the hang of it. I mean should i still have a difference in potential energy when doing it on paper versus actually having resistors on a circuit?

perpc said:
I have a 20volt power supply and 4 resistors: R1, R2, R3 and R4. R1 = 200Ω R2 = 700 R3 = 300Ω R4 = 400
Are these actual resistors, or are they just values you invented on paper to use in sample calculations?
OH yeah and the current running through the circuit is 0.0123 milliamps
The theoretical value for the exact resistance values you listed is 0.0125A, so there you have a 1.6% departure from theory to start with.

It is not clear to me whether there is any electronic hardware involved. Integral is apparently privy to more information than is available here:
Integral said:
You specified the banded resistance of your resistors, did you actually measure them?
Those are definitely not run-of-the-mill preferred resistor values. :wink:

perpc said:
thanks alot. i just realized that i should of posted this under elec. tech what you say makes sense. does this still apply though if its just a simple problem though? I mean I am just makin up problems and random to make sure i got the hang of it. I mean should i still have a difference in potential energy when doing it on paper versus actually having resistors on a circuit?

It applies if you are using real resistors in a real circuit and you are using a real meter to make measurements. Have you measured the actual value of your resistors?

To N.O.
Keep in mind that he is not a engineer working in a multinational environment designing circuits for commercial value. To a high school student preferred resistor values are usually multiples of 100 for easier computation.

The total resistance is 1600 ohms. (200 + 700 + 300 + 400 = 1600)

The current is 0.0125 amps, not 0.0123 milliamps (20 volts / 1600 ohms = 0.0125 amps)

The voltages are 2.5, 8.75, 3.75 and 5 volts which add up to 20 volts.

So, you must be making a calculator error somewhere.

thanks. maybe i just need to start doing all my math on a calculator rather than adding it up on paper. Someone told me that I am not rounding right or something. Whew, i knew i should have never tried to refresh upon my math skills. At 30 I am having just as much problems graspin basic mathematical concepts as a 70 year old.

What did you measure for the voltage drop across each resistor? What did you measure for the actual resistance?

perpc said:
thanks. maybe i just need to start doing all my math on a calculator rather than adding it up on paper. Someone told me that I am not rounding right or something. Whew, i knew i should have never tried to refresh upon my math skills. At 30 I am having just as much problems grasping basic mathematical concepts as a 70 year old.

It was just one calculation that was wrong. The current should have been 0.0125 amps and after that everything works out OK.

So, don't worry about it.

Related to Serial Resistor solution to finding individual voltage not adding up

1. How does the Serial Resistor solution work?

The Serial Resistor solution is a method used to find the individual voltage across each resistor in a series circuit. It involves calculating the total resistance of the circuit and using this value to determine the individual voltage drops using Ohm's Law.

2. Why is the voltage not adding up in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the voltage across each resistor is proportional to its resistance. As a result, the total voltage across all the resistors in the circuit will equal the sum of the individual voltage drops. If the voltage is not adding up, it could be due to errors in measurement or calculation.

3. What is the formula for calculating the total resistance of a series circuit?

The formula for calculating the total resistance in a series circuit is Rtotal = R1 + R2 + ... + Rn, where R1, R2, etc. are the individual resistances in the circuit.

4. Can the Serial Resistor solution be used for parallel circuits?

No, the Serial Resistor solution is specifically for series circuits. For parallel circuits, the Parallel Resistor solution should be used.

5. What are the limitations of using the Serial Resistor solution?

The Serial Resistor solution assumes that all the resistors in the circuit have the same current passing through them. This may not be the case in circuits with non-uniform resistance values or when the total voltage supply is not constant. Additionally, this solution may not work for circuits with non-linear components such as diodes or transistors.