Serge Lang vs Larson & Edwards (Calculus)

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on which textbook to use for a deeper understanding of Calculus. They have previously used Kleppner & Kolenkow's Introduction to Mechanics but feel they need a stronger foundation in Calculus. Suggestions for other textbooks include Lang's book, Apostol and Spivak, and Baos' Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences. The speaker is still exploring different options and has not completed a textbook yet.
Cosmophile
I have a copy of both Lang's text and Larson and Edwards' text, and was wondering which would be best for someone looking for a deeper understanding of Calculus. Any and all advice is welcome here! I was working through Kleppner & Kolenkow's Introduction to Mechanics and decided I need a much more thorough understanding of Calculus if I was to get the full effect. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I've heard good things about Lang's book, but never used it myself. What calculus book(s) have you completed so far? If you have access to a library, you may want to try Apostol or Spivak, both are very strong choices, if you're not pushed away by math lingo. Spivak is easier in terms of dryness; connects a lot with real analysis. Apostol is very methodical, although kind of dry. Apostol has 2nd tome for multivar, Spivak has Calculus on Manifolds. From there on you can go to Rudin. Either way, I suggest to sample as many as you can and find one which talks to you; it will help a great deal.

Just remembered, there is also Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences by Baos, for the science audience.

I've heard of both Apostol and Spivak, but have been told that they are books you should go to AFTER you've established a pretty strong foundation - not books you go to to establish that foundation. I haven't "completed" a textbook yet; what I've learned, I've learned from several sources. Mostly from my Larson/Edwards text and MIT videos. I'm enjoying Lang so far, though!

Related to Serge Lang vs Larson & Edwards (Calculus)

1. What is the difference between Serge Lang's Calculus and Larson & Edwards' Calculus?

Serge Lang's Calculus is a textbook that covers the fundamentals of single-variable calculus, while Larson & Edwards' Calculus is a series of textbooks that cover both single-variable and multivariable calculus.

2. Which textbook is better for learning Calculus?

This depends on the individual's learning style and preferences. Some may prefer Serge Lang's concise and rigorous approach, while others may prefer Larson & Edwards' more comprehensive and visually appealing style.

3. Can I use both textbooks for my Calculus course?

Yes, you can use both textbooks as supplementary materials or for additional practice problems. However, it is important to consult with your instructor to ensure that the topics covered in both textbooks align with your course curriculum.

4. Are there any major differences in the content covered in both textbooks?

While both textbooks cover the fundamentals of single-variable calculus, there may be some differences in the order in which topics are presented and the depth of coverage. It is important to consult with your instructor to determine which textbook aligns better with your course curriculum.

5. Which textbook is more suitable for advanced students?

Serge Lang's Calculus is generally considered more suitable for advanced students, as it provides a more rigorous and abstract treatment of the subject. However, this also depends on the individual's learning style and preferences.