Solve the Hardest Puzzle Ever: Who is the Engineer?

• Thread starter maximus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Puzzle
In summary, the conversation revolved around a puzzle that involved three individuals on a train with the same names as three businessmen. Clues were given to determine who was the engineer, and the conversation also discussed the difficulty of the puzzle and the need for an additional piece of information to eliminate assumptions.
maximus
"hardest puzzle ever"

today i ran across this puzzle:

--------------------
ON a train Smith, Jones, and Robinson are the fireman, brakeman, and engineer, but NOT respectivly. Also aboard are three business men who have the same names: a Mr. Smith, a Mr. Jones, and a Mr. Robinson.
here are the clues:
1) Mr. Robinson lives in Detroit.
2) The brakeman lives exactly half between Detroit and Chicago.
3) Mr. Jones earns exactly $20,000 per year.
4) The brakeman's nearest neighbor,one of the passengers, earns exactly three times as much as the brakeman.
5) Smith beats the fireman at billiards.
6) The passanger with the same name as the brakeman lives in Chicago.
WHO IS THE ENGINEER?

---------------------

you can PM the answer to me, if you get it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bah, wasn't so hard!

its a damn good puzzle, about 2.5% of people who do it get it right.

the only problem is they leave you with a single assumpion you have to make - which ruins the whole puzzle as you have to work with information outside the clues.
It still makes it a puzzle tho - just not as good one as you are working with guesses - not pure problem solving.

me: i had to ask for the answer :p - then i saw how i got ripped. If they added a sinle bit of info that eliminated the assumpion allot more people would come up with the answer.

Last edited:
I didn't see any assumptions (though I will admit it is very tricky!); when I did it, every deduction I used was perfectly rigorous. PM me if you want to see them.

1. Who created the "Hardest Puzzle Ever: Who is the Engineer?"

The puzzle was created by a team of scientists and engineers from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).

2. How long did it take to create the puzzle?

The puzzle took over 10 years to create and was first released in 2009.

3. What makes this puzzle so difficult?

The puzzle involves a combination of complex mathematical and cryptographic elements, making it challenging for even the most skilled puzzle solvers.

4. Has anyone solved the puzzle yet?

Despite numerous attempts, the puzzle has yet to be officially solved. However, there have been some promising leads and potential solutions proposed by puzzle enthusiasts.

5. What is the purpose of the puzzle?

The main purpose of the puzzle is to challenge and stimulate critical thinking and problem-solving skills among individuals. It also serves as a platform for scientific research and exploration of new technologies.