Sequences and series help / recurrence relation

In summary, the given recurrence relation is U_{k+2}= U_{k+1} - pU_{k}, with U_{1}= 2 and U_{2}= 4. Using this, we can find the expressions U_{3}= 4-2p and U_{4}= 4-6p. We also know that U_{4}= 3U_{3}, so substituting in the expression for U_{4}, we have 3U_{3}= 4-6p. Solving for p, we get p= (4-3U_{3})/6.
tweety1234

Homework Statement

A sequence of terms [tex] U_{k} [/tex] is defined by [tex] K \geq [/tex] by the recurrence relation [tex] U_{k+2} = U_{k+1} - pU_{k} [/tex] where P is a constant Given that [tex] U_{1} =2 [/tex] and [tex] U_{2} = 4 [/tex]

a) find an expression in terms of p for [tex] U_{3} [/tex]

b) hence find an expression in terms of p for [tex] U_{4} [/tex]

given also that [tex] U_{4} [/tex] is twice the value of [tex] U_{3} [/tex]
c) find the value of p

The Attempt at a Solution

for question a i just subsititue k=1 and i get [tex] U_{3} = 4 - 2p [/tex] and for B i substituted k=2 and the expression i got is [tex] U_{4} = 4-6p [/tex]

what i am really stuck on is how to work out the value of 'p' ?

can anyone please show me ?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
tweety1234 said:

Homework Statement

A sequence of terms [tex] U_{k} [/tex] is defined by [tex] K \geq [/tex] by the recurrence relation [tex] U_{k+2} = U_{k+1} - pU_{k} [/tex] where P is a constant Given that [tex] U_{1} =2 [/tex] and [tex] U_{2} = 4 [/tex]

a) find an expression in terms of p for [tex] U_{3} [/tex]

b) hence find an expression in terms of p for [tex] U_{4} [/tex]

given also that [tex] U_{4} [/tex] is twice the value of [tex] U_{3} [/tex]
c) find the value of p

The Attempt at a Solution

for question a i just subsititue k=1 and i get [tex] U_{3} = 4 - 2p [/tex] and for B i substituted k=2 and the expression i got is [tex] U_{4} = 4-6p [/tex]

what i am really stuck on is how to work out the value of 'p' ?

can anyone please show me ?

thanks!
Excellent! You have done exactly what you should have done. Now use that last condition, U4 is twice the value of U3 or U4= 3U3 with the U3 and U4 you have and solve for p.

I would begin by looking at the given information and trying to understand the problem at hand. From the given recurrence relation, we can see that the sequence is defined by taking the previous two terms and subtracting the product of the constant p and the first term. This means that each term in the sequence is dependent on the previous two terms and the value of p.

To find the value of p, we can use the given information that U4 is twice the value of U3. This means that U4 = 2U3. We can substitute our expressions from parts a and b into this equation to get:

4 - 6p = 2(4 - 2p)

Solving for p, we get p = 1. This means that the value of p is 1 in this particular sequence.

In general, to find the value of p in a sequence defined by a recurrence relation, we would need more information. Without additional information, we cannot determine the value of p. It is also possible that there are multiple values of p that could satisfy the given conditions. In this case, we would need more information to narrow down the possible values of p.

Related to Sequences and series help / recurrence relation

1. What is a sequence?

A sequence is a set of numbers that are arranged in a specific order, typically following a certain pattern or rule.

2. What is a series?

A series is the sum of a sequence of numbers. It is formed by adding the terms of a sequence together.

3. What is a recurrence relation?

A recurrence relation is a mathematical equation that defines a sequence or series by relating each term to one or more previous terms. It is often used to find a general formula for a sequence or series.

4. How can I find the next term in a sequence?

To find the next term in a sequence, you can look for a pattern or rule in the sequence and apply it to the previous terms. If the sequence follows a specific mathematical rule, you can also use a recurrence relation to find the next term.

5. How can I determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

To determine if a series is convergent or divergent, you can use various tests such as the ratio test, comparison test, or integral test. These tests help determine if the series approaches a finite value (convergent) or if it diverges to infinity.