Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Sequence of normalized random variables

batman

Feb 27, 2012
Let X_1, X_2, ... be a sequence of random variables and define Y_i = X_i/E[X_i]. Does the sequence Y_1, Y_2, ... always convergence to a random variable with mean 1?

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
Let X_1, X_2, ... be a sequence of random variables and define Y_i = X_i/E[X_i]. Does the sequence Y_1, Y_2, ... always convergence to a random variable with mean 1?
There is something missing from your statement of the problem, the \(Y_i\)s all have mean 1, but there is no reason why they should converge without some further restriction on the \(X\)s.

CB

batman

Feb 27, 2012
So what should be the restriction on the X_i's? In particular, can the Y_i's still convergence if the X_i's go to infinity?

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
So what should be the restriction on the X_i's? In particular, can the Y_i's still convergence if the X_i's go to infinity?
It would be better if you provide the context and/or further background for your question.

CB

batman

Feb 27, 2012
There is no context and/or further background. It was just a question that came to my mind while studying convergence of random variables. I just thought a normalized sequence would always have mean 1 in the limit and I was wondering whether there would be a general condition when it converges.

Last edited:

matheagle

Feb 18, 2012
what if the X's blow up like

$P(X_n=2^n)=2^{-n}$ and $P(X_n=0)=1-2^{-n}$

Last edited:

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
There is no context and/or further background. It was just a question that came to my mind while studying convergence of random variables. I just thought a normalized sequence would always have mean 1 in the limit and I was wondering whether there would be a general condition when it converges.
Suppose \(X_{2k}\sim N(1,1) \) and \( X_{2k-1} \sim U(0,2),\ k=1, 2, ..\) Now does the sequence \(\{X_i\}\) converge (in whatever sense ..) ?