Physics degrees and marketability

In summary, the individual is on track to graduate with a B.S. in Physics after 3 years and 1 semester. They are considering supplementing their degree with computer or electrical engineering, which would add an additional 2 years and 1 semester to their studies. Alternatively, they are also considering pursuing a master's degree in applied physics, which would take 2-3 years. They are not interested in pursuing a PhD due to the time commitment and potential delay in starting their career. They are seeking advice on the marketability of a dual degree in physics and computer/electrical engineering or a master's degree in applied physics. Suggestions include gaining additional experience through internships and volunteer positions.
grady
I am on schedule to graduate with a B.S. in Physics after Fall semester 2003. It will have taken 3 years and one semester from start to finish, and it dawned on me over spring break that I might supplement the physics with computer or electrical engineering. So I calculated it out and it will take 5 years and 1 semester to get the dual degree. If I don't get the dual, I want to go to get a master's degree in applied physics. Which will take 2 or 3 years in itself. I know I don't want a PhD because all of the sources I've looked up say it takes on average 5 to 6.5 years to earn. I don't want to be 29 before I can get a job, that really bothers me, so the PhD is out of the question for me really. So from all of you guys who have gotten degrees in physics or know others that have phys. degrees or know anyting about this kind of stuff how would you compare the marketability of something like physics plus computer engineering B.S.'s with physics and a some ( more that likely ) condensed matter centric applied physics master's degree? Would a master's degree in applied physics or some type of EE be great, good or so so if I had earned the dual degree in phys. and EE or computer engineering? Thanks for the input.

-Grady

Physics news on Phys.org
As a student of Computer Science & Engineering, I can say this will be great for you. As I found when we want to design a graphical application, which is geometry related or Game Development which is very much physics dependent needs the depth knowledge of motion and many other math related things. So you can take a chance to work in that area...

I don't see a dual degree increasing your marketability. I would check out getting a masters in engineering. Computor engineeering was not available in my time, but would it not mean just a few more courses than when pursuing a masters in physics? It would improve your marketing for either career choice.

Regards

I don't know about the degree, but when it comes to marketability, the more you have to offer, the better.
Plus, if there are any internships, volunteer positions, etc., you could do, that would also increase your chances of finding a job. But that advice applies to ANY degree...

I don't know about the degree, but when it comes to marketability, the more you have to offer, the better.
Plus, if there are any internships, volunteer positions, etc., you could do, that would also increase your chances of finding a job. But that advice applies to ANY degree...

1. What job opportunities are available for individuals with a degree in Physics?

There are a wide range of job opportunities available for individuals with a degree in Physics. Some common career paths include research positions in academia, government, or industry, engineering jobs, and roles in finance and technology. Additionally, many physics graduates go on to pursue further education in fields such as medicine, law, or business.

2. Are Physics degrees in demand in the job market?

Yes, Physics degrees are in demand in the job market. The problem-solving and analytical skills developed during a Physics degree are highly valued by employers in a variety of industries. Additionally, the growing fields of technology, renewable energy, and healthcare all have a high demand for individuals with a background in Physics.

3. What skills do I gain from a Physics degree that make me marketable?

A Physics degree equips individuals with a variety of skills that make them highly marketable. These include critical thinking, problem-solving, analytical skills, mathematical proficiency, and strong communication skills. Additionally, a physics degree also provides hands-on experience with laboratory experiments and data analysis, which are valuable skills in many industries.

4. Can I pursue a career in fields other than science with a Physics degree?

Yes, a Physics degree can open up career opportunities in a variety of fields outside of science. The analytical and problem-solving skills gained from a physics degree are applicable to many industries, including finance, technology, and engineering. Additionally, the versatility of a physics degree allows for further education in fields such as law, medicine, or business.

5. Is there a demand for Physics teachers in the job market?

Yes, there is a demand for Physics teachers in the job market. With a growing emphasis on STEM education, there is a need for qualified physics teachers at all levels of education. Additionally, many schools offer specialized programs or courses in physics, creating a demand for teachers with a strong background in the subject.